Wiring a start panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky1977

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Mach 1 1972
Hello everybody,

It has been some time ago since my last post. I have been very busy with work so unfortunately I couldn't do much to my Mustang. But anyway I'm almost finished installing a new Painless wiring harnes for my 72 Mach 1. I have decided to remove the old ignition key and replace it with a starter panel. It has an ignition switch and a starter button and I bought a separate switch for the accessories.

I have five wires to connect:

*Ignition switch section #934 to ignition switch power B+ (yellow)

*Ignition switch section #932 to ignition switch "ACC" (black/green)

*Ignition switch section #931 to ignition switch coil ignition (pink)

*Ignition switch section #933 to ignition switch "ign" (black/green)

*Ignition switch #919 to starter solenoid (blue/red)

1. So I connected #919 to the started button.

2. Connected #933 to the ignition switch.

3. Connected #932 to the accessories switch.

So I'm left with #931 Coil B+ and #934 Ignition switch power B+. I'm pretty sure I have to connect #931 (Coil) to the other side of the ignition switch but what about #934? And do I have to jumper #931 to the accessories switch aswell?

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me out. I will upload some photos soon.

Hello everybody,

It has been some time ago since my last post. I have been very busy with work so unfortunately I couldn't do much to my Mustang. But anyway I'm almost finished installing a new Painless wiring harnes for my 72 Mach 1. I have decided to remove the old ignition key and replace it with a starter panel. It has an ignition switch and a starter button and I bought a separate switch for the accessories.

I have five wires to connect:

*Ignition switch section #934 to ignition switch power B+ (yellow)

*Ignition switch section #932 to ignition switch "ACC" (black/green)

*Ignition switch section #931 to ignition switch coil ignition (pink)

*Ignition switch section #933 to ignition switch "ign" (black/green)

*Ignition switch #919 to starter solenoid (blue/red)

1. So I connected #919 to the started button.

2. Connected #933 to the ignition switch.

3. Connected #932 to the accessories switch.

So I'm left with #931 Coil B+ and #934 Ignition switch power B+. I'm pretty sure I have to connect #931 (Coil) to the other side of the ignition switch but what about #934? And do I have to jumper #931 to the accessories switch aswell?

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me out. I will upload some photos soon.

Sooo

931 Coil + Bat is the exciting wire to + coil and is the resistance wire for points that come from run position on original ign switch.

934 Ign Switch Power B+ is main + Bat power to Ign switch.

932 is Ign Switch ACC Position wire.

Dont jump 931.

Jump 934 from ign swittch to start button so both have constant + Bat.

Are U running Points? If yes than U need to use the original resistance wire.

Waiting for Midlife to add more. :whistling:

Paul

You don't want power going to the coil unless you want to run the engine. Add another switch for coil power (toggle) and a push-button switch for the starter and you should be OK.

Don't forget to add fuses for main battery power and accessory power.

The purpose of 933 is to convert battery power to accessory power when the key is in ACC or RUN. Otherwise, radios, lights, etc., won't work.

Thanks for your replies guys. I don't think it's necessary to have an aditional switch for the coil. You will only toggle the ignition switch if you want to start the engine and switch it off when you want to kill it.

Back