Wiring problems circuit breaker??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
Im trying to understand and redo some of the wiring the former owner did.

So this is what I wonder.

From the battery + the cable goes into the solenoid (both connected at same side on the solenoid) and from the solenid it goes to a device called circuitbreaker 12 v 40 A. Found out that nothing happened when i turned the key. So i bypassed that circuit breaker with a wire (the yellow one on the pic) suddenly it started.

Q1

Is that good or what could happen?

Q2

Im not sure when I look at the wiring diagram that I find that circuit breaker and it looks not professional connected as you can se at the picture.

Could circuitbreaker be the one that the pink pen is pointing?

And also what does it mean when the line is dashed (white pen)?

Conny

/Conny

1617730858311.jpg

1617730873378.jpg

The circuit breaker is only for the accessory feed wire, which is completely separate from the main harness and I don't see it in your pics. It is used to power the hood lamp, power windows, rear defrost etc., and has nothing to do with powering the main harness. 

It looks like you have a gauge package car and the junction block appears to be broken. The 73 wiring diagrams are a complex mess and can be very confusing. I recommend you clean the wires so the colors are visible, and get a replacement block so you can hook things up to the diagram. I've attached the 71 wiring diagram with gauges, which is a lot easier to understand. 

View attachment 71alttachwiring.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't run a car with a 40 amp circuit breaker between the battery and the main power input line.  Your fuse box capacity is well above that.  Hemikiller is on the mark.

Found out on the wiring diagram that where the circuit breaker is that on that wire bk-y d there is some xtra equipment that i dont have on my fastback.

Back