Wiring Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
All,

I need some help with wiring. I installed my refurbished clock that I just got back from the Rocketman, it looks great. I plugged it in and no joy...

20130602_201039.jpg

Looks like the PO cut 2 of the wires that lead into the plug where the console clock plugs into. I looked but couldnt find the cut wires. Would it be okay to splice into the hot wire for the courtesy light and a ground to power the clock?

20130602_155150.jpg

This is the plug for the console clock and 2 lights that light up the clock.

20130602_154657.jpg

Please let me know, I really don't want to fry anything. Thanks!

The cut yellow wires are just one common wire. I would connect it to a fused circuit like the cig lighter or dome light. I've never used one of those clocks, but I imagine it should utilize the ground wire in the harness you have there or chassis ground when mounted.

Good luck.

The cut yellow wires are just one common wire. I would connect it to a fused circuit like the cig lighter or dome light. I've never used one of those clocks, but I imagine it should utilize the ground wire in the harness you have there or chassis ground when mounted.

Good luck.
Thanks... I'll get under there this weekend and see what I can connect to. The cig lighter is right there, that should be easy.

I can check the wiring diagrams later tonight and let you know exactly what those two wires went to. Just give me a few hours to get home from work!
Thanks... I've looked at the wiring diagram. It looks like it should be pretty easy to hook it up to the cig lighter power as Blueoval71 suggested to get it running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... I've looked at the wiring diagram. It looks like it should be pretty easy to hook it up to the cig lighter power as Blueoval71 suggested to get it running.
I've got the larger wiring Diagram that also includes the connectors and pin outs. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it though!

According to Ford's schematics, the cut wires are light green/yellow, #54. This is your typical fused power lines for clocks, door jamb switches, etc. One of the cut wires comes directly from the fuse box, and the other goes to the right-hand door jamb. If you can't find the matching cut wires, start peeling back the tape nearby until you do, and splice in 16 gauge wires.

You may want to stick a couple of amp in-line fuse in that circuit to the clock

Cig lighter is a 20 amp fuse - I have seen those clocks melt.

Back