Worry about buying a car???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Worried?

So you want a car do you? :-/ … You ponder for a while wondering how you can talk yourself (and maybe the wife also) into making either a galactic mistake or take a golden opportunity. Either you decide on the tiresome activity of leafing your way through all the classified ads… or, like a penitent lamb to the slaughter, you take yourself off to your fav dealership and have someone, who’s only care in the world is volume sales, talk you into the next puerile, miserable Euro-box, or gargantuan pickup truck, the size of earth moving equipment with an interior made from used wheelie bins, or tiddly little rice burner. :chin:

To add to your injuries in this process; the baggy suited, slimy guy whose name always seems to be “Bob” :s … hooks you in with what looks like a deal with his questionable negotiating skills, strengthened by the starting values artificially made by the Motor Corporations; he then beats you up on price, with the hidden costs, extras, service agreement, extended warranty etc.

Taken it up the tailpipe yet?  ::thumb::

You lay awake at night, mind consumed by every little detail hoping you’re not getting ripped. Part of your mind is agonizing over the options lists (if new) , if second hand , previous owners, servicing schedules, if anything has hurt the youthful little shit-box through its Lilliputian 2.5 years of life and 20k or so lightly tickled miles. WTF!  :-/

Why worry?

Try buying a 48 year old f**k-face :D and see how you fare. Knowing full well once you’ve made the commitment the “work” begins… New rack, shocks, exhausts, bushings, oil, oil filter, brakes etc. And if you really bought your time machine to really hump you in the ass…new fenders, floorpans, rear valence, fuel tank, trunk floor, trunk lid, suspension bosses, new chrome and hood.

There are some compensations however,

My Mustang 351C (5.8ltr), Zero tax (more than 30yrs old) £140 insurance, tyres £90 per corner.  Against

my Mercedes CLK350 – used to hammer me for £780 tax, £690 insurance and a full set of tyres £200 per corner. My XK8 £390 annual insurance, £720 tax and get this... £390 per corner for round black things.

Just for fun, the CLK also stuck its hand right up me, ripped out my colon with 50% depreciation in the first year....Taken it up the tailpipe yet?  ::thumb::

At least with a 48 yr old, you don’t have to carry an interface and a laptop to fix the car …. What cock sniffing, uni-browed, helmet cheese, frog f**ker thought repairing a car by going up to it with a laptop to extract some encrypted code thinks that's a good idea? ...I want them here so I can hammer their cock wafer thin then nail-gun it to a desk. :whistling:

My car on the right needs a f**king laptop for even the most minor incident -- Whereas the gorgeous car on the left, if float chamber sticks, needs only to be tapped with a spanner. :thankyouyellow:

Now you have an increasing value item of awesome beauty on your driveway getting looks from every passer by …even the postman bringing you the next CJPony bill, leaves a trail of drool across your property. :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky with the metal as there was only a hole the size of your little finger in drivers floor. However the car spent its life in a desert state before imported to UK. This meant every single rubber. plastic, and cloth part on the car is scrap.

When i first made the decision to remove and strip down the engine when i purchased the car i made the decision then to end up with a brand new car when i had finished. I didnt go for NOS or repair/restore old parts. I decided to put repop items back.

3 years down the line and the engine has been stripped and rebuilt. Engine bay, underside, and trunk bare metalled and resprayed. This year i hope to get the heater-A/C recommisioned, interior bare metalled and resprayed along with the all the trim and dash. I am sure all wiring behind the dash will need replacing when i inspect it just like the wiring that fell apart under the hood once it all got disturbed

I don't know if I'd totally agree....comparing a 46 year old tarted up Falcon to a modern luxury car strikes me as a little not fair. But I will give kudos for literary ...flair!

While I thoroughly enjoy my 7 liter 73 Mach 1 it is a joke, as it should be, with my 2017 Boxster S.

haann7O.jpg

I really want to buy a car, but for now I only have enough money for wheels :) Maybe someone can suggest an inexpensive, good model? I like the Audi brand

While I thoroughly enjoy my 7 liter 73 Mach 1 it is a joke, as it should be, with my 2017 Boxster S.

haann7O.jpg
That's a nice car. Just no way to compare that driving experience, is there? I have an '08 Mustang GT, but for pure fun to drive, my old 87 RX7 was a blast.

I'll tell ya, there's no doubt about it that new cars do pretty much everything better than our old cars...….they're quieter, get way better gas mileage, have more comfortable interiors, bigger trunk storage, have good braking, make comparably better horsepower, a/c works immeadiately, heater works immeadiately, headlamp road lighting is much better, most come with 100,000 mile guarantee, and on and on and on.

But drive it down the street and nobody looks, nobody cares. They all kinda look alike and blend in. New cars are nothing special. You don't have to be an enthusiast or a "car guy" to own a new car, you just need to have established credit, anyone can buy a new Challenger or Camaro, or Mustang, but a 1969 model of any of those will take some looking for.

Hard core car guys will put up with an old car's shortcomings for a myriad of reasons, but mainly 'cause we simply like them. Hot Rodders used to be the type to get their hands dirty, today, those with enough money just have someone else build it for them. There are more who own a hot rod, than there are hot rodders. Rarely do hot rods today have an engine that the owner built, but usually have a "crate motor", which is less expensive, but isn't building the motor what hot rodding is pretty much about?

My wife has a brand new 2019 Ford Edge, and it's really a nice car, I drive it on occasion, but it doesn't even come close to the satisfaction I get driving my '71. Go figure.....

I thought I'd add on to what I posted above.....you see, I have thought about buying a new car, not selling my old one, just buying another, but new. In 2008 Ford came out with the retro looking new body style mustang. When I first saw it I thought "cool". However, when I went to my local dealer and sat in one I changed my mind...it just seemed so cramped inside, even though external proportions looked good. The dealer told me the car shouldn't be used for towing ( I have 4 boats) ...damn! No sale. A few years back, when Mopar came out with the retro Challenger, I thought "cool". Roomier, aggressive looking, but the dealer told me the Mercedes rear end that they use won't take to towing either, nor would the trans. No sale. The new Camaro? The LS engine is a good enough powerplant, but hoo-boy, is the new Camaro ugly. Sales tell me I'm not alone.

It's fine with me now that I never did purchase any of those three, because since then, I've come to know that a huge segment of owners of these cars are assholes, and drive like idiots, and I sure don't want to be lumped into that group of people. As much as a truck would sure come in handy at times, and fit my towing needs, I'm not really a "truck kinda guy"......but eventually it will likely happen as there isn't any cool new sporty muscle type car that can do what I need, and I just cannot see myself in a rice rocket, a soap bar, or an econo box

I went the new route a few years back and bought a '13 Boss Laguna Seca, my first venture into the new 'stangs. It was as I expected it to be and as other's here have indicated, BUT, it still wasn't enough to satisfy me when it came to the pure adrenaline of driving a classic big block 'stang... So it was sold and shipped off to Finland in 2015 and I bought my "J" Code vert. I don't miss it compared to the '71, although it was a nice car...

I thought I'd add on to what I posted above.....you see, I have thought about buying a new car, not selling my old one, just buying another, but new. In 2008 Ford came out with the retro looking new body style mustang. 

It's fine with me now that I never did purchase any of those three, because since then, I've come to know that a huge segment of owners of these cars are assholes, and drive like idiots, and I sure don't want to be lumped into that group of people. As much as a truck would sure come in handy at times, and fit my towing needs, I'm not really a "truck kinda guy"......but eventually it will likely happen as there isn't any cool new sporty muscle type car that can do what I need, and I just cannot see myself in a rice rocket, a soap bar, or an econo box
I picked up a 2008 5spd GT for a daily driver. Nice enough, but in a way it feels fragile. I like it, but 

I am with you about most drivers of that type of car. It seems like every jackass in the world with one (or a Camaro, or Charger, but no Challengers yet) thinks you want to race. I like roadracing not drag racing or pretend top end sprints on lonely, deer infested highways* to see who spent more on their supercharger or tune. I don't get the same sense of interest in their cars that I get from the Opel, RX7 and vintage Mustang crowd. It's like they don't care about the car is as long as they can prove they are faster than you, it's just seems antagonistic. Makes me not even want to talk cars with these people.

When I was younger I never wanted a truck. I knew they were useful, but if I could afford only one vehicle, it wouldn't be a truck. I like sporty and to some people that meant you get a truck...then slam it down. Not the same thing and try to use it like a truck and your fiberglass bodykit gets trashed (lost count of how many minitrucks I saw with cracked rear roll pans). However.....ever since I can afford more than one vehicle (almost, I did have an Opel GT and RX7 at the same time, both licensed and driven frequently), I have had a GMC Safari van. Just got my second one to replace the first. Very cheap used, run forever. I stick to the pre-95, rwd (not awd, but some people really like them) with the TBI 4.3. Some towing capacity (small boats?..probably not a Donzi)

Cheap to insure, easy to work on. Thought about an early 93-95 F150, had one as a work truck and really liked it, but I've gone to the dark side of vans.

*the highway is lonely, not the deer....

Back