Would I do it again?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Probably a lot of you have been following my build thread and the issues that I have been having with the motor and more recently the flex plate. I decided to share the history on how I acquired it and some of the decisions I made along the way.

Originally when I decided to restore the car I knew that I wanted to make it a better performer but didn't want to modify the original motor. So I started the quest to accumulate all the parts for a second motor. I found a 4 bolt main block that still has the std bore with the crank, got 62cc quench heads that were rebuilt but never installed and all the other parts with the exception of the pistons because I didn't know what the final bore would be. I wound up not using this motor. The motor that I actually got has the most of the items that I wanted.

I actually found a third motor (one that I am using) from a retired Marine in Florida who was rebuilding a 72 Mach 1. He decided to get a 428 Cyclone so he had to give up the Mustang and sold it off. He had all the receipts for the machine work and long block assembly ($2500.00) and the motor was never installed. So I flew to Orlando to check it out. This is what it came with, all parts new:

-351C with 030 over bore

-Eagle Forged H beam connecting rods

-Wiseco Forged piston

-Howard 290 cam

-Harland Sharp roller rockers

-Manley pushrods

-62cc closed chambered 4V heads with Manley valves and Comp cams springs. CR with this setup 10.44 : 1

-Melling HV pump

-Double roller chain

Rotating assembly balanced

-Mighty Demon 750 cfm carb (new in box), with all the fuel line components.

- Torker manifold that was clayed and powder coated

-MSD pro billet distributor

-March performance pulleys

-100 amp 1 wire alternator

-mounting brackets that are black powdered coated.

-air cleaner

-Hooker performance ceramic coated headers

Basically it had everything to get it running and also got:

-c6 tranny that was rebuilt by JW performance, shift kit etc

-2800 stall converter

-JW performance SFI flex plate

Total cost was $3000.00. He spent $2500 just for the machine work alone so this was a super deal. Would I do this again, probably so. Would I disassemble it before installing it, definitely yes. Issues that I found with the motor so far:

- Wrong size push rods, 8.41, needed 8.15 due to cam lift. (resolved)

- Machine shop installed wrong main bearings (resolved)

- clearance issue with the flex plate (resolved)

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd let you know how I got to this point. Sad part is that I now have 2 extra motors that I'll have to rebuild sometime in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. a lot like my motor...so you'll have FUN with it. One item I might throw in.... if you decide to run a/c...be sure to get a two belt pully on the alt. Most of those dont have two belt pully assembly. Sometimes NAPA has them lying around from cores and will either sell it to you or give you one.

Sounds good. a lot like my motor...so you'll have FUN with it. One item I might throw in.... if you decide to run a/c...be sure to get a two belt pully on the alt. Most of those dont have two belt pully assembly. Sometimes NAPA has them lying around from cores and will either sell it to you or give you one.
I am using a 6 rib serpentine system. Yeah I am eventually planning to get the AC going again as soon as I can have the lines made up for it. I think I should be ok with the system I have but I'll keep a look out for any issues. Thx for the advice.

Latest posts

Back