WTB 1971 Convenience Group Wiring Harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
I am looking for a convenience group wiring harness for a '71.  The one I have is out of a Cougar (missing map light connector and glove box light socket and switch connector as these are standard on Cougar).  The Mustang harness has connectors for the passenger door jamb switch, seat back latch release connectors on both sides, a bullet connector socket for the glove box lamp switch, a panel socket for the lamp itself, a connector for the map light, a connector for the seat back latch release relay, and probably something else I can't think of.  Harness connectors and wires need to be in good shape - no splicing.  I'll rewrap it anyway, so the wrap can be missing or damaged.

Thanks!

They are out there, somewhere...I haven't seen a complete one in about 2-3 years.  I made one for a customer and it was awful doing it: I won't cobble another one again.

Starting with one that is almost complete has to be easier.  The problem it seems will be getting the correct connector for the map light and socket for the glovebox lamp.  Everything else is there in the Cougar version.

I might have one in a box of parts I bought on a trip couple years ago. Guy had a 71 M code that he crashed before he got it fixed up. He had the wire harness laying there and I got in case I needed some plugs. I do not know if it had CG or not will have to find it. I am in a fix right now with neck and back. I have bunch of stuff in the way of opening the door to my work room so I cannot lower the attic ladder to get to the storage area. There are several things up there I need. I can still work on light items and was trying to get all the bolt on stuff ready for the Vert. Was pouring rain looks like is stopping. Will walk down to shop and see what I can do. I would have no use for it other than plugs and I have two other parts cars but they are verts.
So with CG what do I need to look for? The plug for the center light and the under dash lights? Would not be a seat belt light on RH side of 71 was there?

I might have one in a box of parts I bought on a trip couple years ago. Guy had a 71 M code that he crashed before he got it fixed up. He had the wire harness laying there and I got in case I needed some plugs. I do not know if it had CG or not will have to find it. I am in a fix right now with neck and back. I have bunch of stuff in the way of opening the door to my work room so I cannot lower the attic ladder to get to the storage area. There are several things up there I need. I can still work on light items and was trying to get all the bolt on stuff ready for the Vert. Was pouring rain looks like is stopping. Will walk down to shop and see what I can do. I would have no use for it other than plugs and I have two other parts cars but they are verts.
So with CG what do I need to look for? The plug for the center light and the under dash lights? Would not be a seat belt light on RH side of 71 was there?
The seatbelt light on a '71 was on the lower dash and was essentially a timed light whenever the ignition key was move to the accessory position.  The lamp was late moved to the passenger side and sensors were put into the seatbelt retractors so the light (and buzzer) were activated if the seatbelts were not buckled.  The CG harness has connectors in the passenger footwell for the door jamb switch (a jumper to the 2-lead standard switch and a 3-pin switch connector and a connector for the seatback latch release harness).  Working backwards is the connector for the seatback latch relay, the glove box lamp holder, the glove box lamp switch (bullet socket),parking brake light switch connector, a bullet connector to the accessory power connector in the center of the dash, the parking brake lamp socket, parking brake switch connector, bullet connector to the unswitched power connector (black with yellow dot).

I went to shop and no way can I move everything to get to the loft. The car has to move so the swing out door to paint room can open and then the attic steps can come down. If my son by chance comes I will get him to move.
Sorry here is pic of the mess.

View attachment 50614
Oh yeah - huge mess....

Where are you located in NC?  I will be driving to FL from MN in a couple of weeks - might not be too far off to drop by.

You will probably drive right by me on the way to Florida. You probably come into North Carolina in Asheville on I-40  or I-26. I-26 come within 9 miles of me. If you get off I-26 at the Asheville airport exit it is about 9 miles to my home I believe. Let me know will PM address and cell number.

I just bought a trunk light on ebay. Map light and engine bay light are next. Hope i can find those items as well. My vert has the connector for the trunk light. Was the connector standard? My car did not come with the convenience group.

I just bought a trunk light on ebay. Map light and engine bay light are next. Hope i can find those items as well. My vert has the connector for the trunk light. Was the connector standard? My car did not come with the convenience group.
Only 71/72's came with the green/yellow wire lead for the rear trunk light. 

Back