• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: '72 AM/FM stereo radio and door spkrs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72conv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible
I'm looking for a '72 factory AM/FM stereo radio and a pair of original door speakers. My car has an aftermarket radio and generic replacement speakers installed at the moment. I could use the speaker wiring harnesses, too, as mine have been hacked up by a previous owner.

Thanks!

Dean

Finding a working original is a chore. I went down that rabbit hole. After countless hours searching, I did get one from a friend at a very good price. If you can find a cosmetically good, non-working core it can be repaired and all the old leaky capacitors replaced for about $200. I believe the Ford part number is D2ZA-19A241-AC. If I remember correctly, there are two case sizes, large for non-AC cars and small for AC cars. The 72 lens has only the frequency numbers on it, no PHILCO or MUSTANG. Forget finding original speakers that are serviceable unless you want pay for true NOS. If you want to be shocked by a price, do a search on that number and select WCCC working AM/FM. I laughed out loud. Good luck with your search

Chuck

I used a Radio from a 1972 Thunderbird, it looks identical to the Mustang radio, but had 4 channel output to run 4 speakers.

I got it on E-bay a couple of years ago, here is a tip when looking on e-bay, do a search for other Ford models, with the 71-73 year range, you can find parts cheaper, if the E-bay listing doesn't say "Mustang".

radio.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a Radio from a 1972 Thunderbird, it looks identical to the Mustang radio, but had 4 channel output to run 4 speakers.

I got it on E-bay a couple of years ago, here is a tip when looking on e-bay, do a search for other Ford models, with the 71-73 year range, you can find parts cheaper, if the E-bay listing doesn't say "Mustang".
Iyman it is looks similar but not identical. That balance slider under the frequency lens is a give-away that it is not original to the 72 Mustang.

Close enough for some and not for others.

Most would never know.

Ray

Iyman it is looks similar but not identical. That balance slider under the frequency lens is a give-away that it is not original to the 72 Mustang.

Most would never know.

Ray

you are right Ray, you are the 2nd person to ever point it out, like you said, most will never know :D\

the other guy that pointed it out, went a head and did the same thing to add 2 rear speakers in his fastback.

I have a 73 model with the original door speakers and wire looms.

Most would never know.

Ray
Ray,

Are things different for the '73' ?

My car was a factory original Am/fm car and my setup looks like the one pictured?

I suppose it may have been swapped out at some time but is that really likely?

Ray,

I found the Radio I have and its a 2 channel output and it setup the same way with the Balance slider on the bottom.

D2ZA-19A241 is the part number stamped on the case.

I found these Pictures online, they are Identical to the non working radio I gave.

1396442308_t.jpg

1396442381_b.jpg

1396442449_d.jpg

OK I am getting schooled here. :)

I don't think the 71's had the slider... ?

I thought I knew about radios. Does anyone have their owner's manuals handy?

They should address the operating instructions for the respective year model radios.

Here is one that might help:

72 AM FM manual.JPG

Ray

Back