You're now in 1971...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Let’s have some fun …. We acquired our cars long after they were new in the showroom…

So…picture this… You are NOW in 1971, in your psychedelically decorated house, that only those on the wrong type of mushrooms would live in today.

There you are sitting next to your Lava Lamp, wearing your tie die shirt, watching your wooden, six channel TV set …THEN…a new TV commercial comes on showing the latest trend in automotive styling, announcing that the new 1971 Mustangs are in your local showrooms….BUY NOW !

You agonize over whether to exchange ....NOW TODAY...you remembered that a week ago the dog left a big, steaming, brown curly link on the back seat that you had to clean up -and the car hasn't smelled or handled right ever since...

...So now you are thinking of exchanging the Fairlane, Corsair, Biscayne, Coronet or other tin riddled shitbox that is infecting your driveway, for something a little more racy. ...The ads are tickling and enticing you.

You open the newspaper and right there is another advertisement.

You pick your "A" line flared, polyester covered ass off the mohair sofa ...leave the house in your boxy monstrosity and drive to your local dealership to take a look… Then you decide “YES” I’ll change my car now…

- an horrific reminder.

There you are in the showroom with Bob the salesman... two sets of impossible sideburns and absurd viva Zapata moustache's duking it out over the details.

…what would you have from the options list when it was new in the dealership show-room?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool to think about it.....

I was born in July of 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I actually did that but on a Maverick in 71 then my Mach 1 in 73. The Mach 1 has everything, did miss the block heater somehow. People have no patience now so they have to go get one off the lot and hardly ever order a new car. No like it use to be, Package A, B or C. and color and done. I took hours studying the Ford Facts book getting mine.

I think mine would be 

Body 

Medium Yellow Gold

Mach 1 "05" body

Colour Key Bumper

Hood scoop Ram Air 

Engine 

351C 4V HO

Cruise-o-matic FMX

Wheels 

Mag wheels

Interior 

High back bucket seats

Knitted Vinyl Medium Ginger

Stereo sonic tape system AM/FM radio

Features 

Electric Defrost rear window

Glove box lamp

Trunk lamp 

Footwell lamps

Power Steering

Power Windows 

Tinted upper windshield 

Air Conditioning 

Parking lights

"So…picture this… You are NOW in 1971, in your psychedelically decorated house, that only those on the wrong type of mushrooms would live in today."

Careful there....my first Mustang had the avocado interior....and I liked it!

Not sure how it works in Blighty, but the 71 would be introduced in summer of 70 with sales generally starting in Sept. If you were ordering a 71, no HO. That was on 72 models. early 71's would have the 351 4V, late 71's could have the early CJ. 

Mag wheels means something different. You have 'mag' wheels which initially was short hand for magnesium, but later came to be used for almost any alloy (and even later, steel) aftermarket wheels. Magnums were the chromed steel Ford specific wheel you could order on the car. Until 73, then you could order the Ford OEM aluminum slot alloy, the one that looks like a Wolfrace wheel.

What's wrong with a Fairlane, anyway? A 66-67 500XL 390FE and 4speed in Gulf Stream Aqua would have been quite the car. Almost bought one back in 89.

LOL, I actually did that but on a Maverick in 71 then my Mach 1 in 73. The Mach 1 has everything, did miss the block heater somehow. People have no patience now so they have to go get one off the lot and hardly ever order a new car. No like it use to be, Package A, B or C. and color and done. I took hours studying the Ford Facts book getting mine.
Did you buy the Maverick outright or make payments? If you made payments, how long was the loan and the warranty?

Talk about "impossible sideburns" in '71...….this is me, driving my Dad's '68 Lincoln Continental in 1971......and showing that the impossible was, indeed, possible, ( Friend Pat Shannon in background apparently "photobombing" me.)

Maybe a clearer picture of those sideburns. Photo is of me on left, my sister and brother, in 1971. Those are definitely polyester shirts too, I might add......

Maybe a clearer picture of those sideburns. Photo is of me on left, my sister and brother, in 1971. Those are definitely polyester shirts too, I might add......

OMFG lollerz ... the decade when good taste in haute couture and style went on a very long holiday.  :p   I mean look at your friend in his open shirt, hairy chest medallion, Bee Gees look with the Viva Zapata moustache. OMFG...someone find me a bucket. I bet she's thinking ..."please find me a time machine outta here". 

I look at photo's of my parents thinking..."what magic mushrooms was everybody on"?  .... burn all your photo albums to remove the evidence FFS

...just think 2500 years from now archaeologists are going to dig that photo up and realize; that's how the human race went back into the trees.  :D

!sostatic….

How did guys ever get laid looking like that? Compared to today, I'd say easily and just as often, if not more. We didn't "text", "E-mail", facetime, or "Twitter" a girl,.....we actually talked to them. The 70s youth had face to face people skills. The Hair and clothing styles today will seem just as weird to the generation 20 years from now. Clothing styles had nothing to do with it. The beginning of the seventies was kind of a continuation of the late sixties. There was still a bit of "peace and love" in the air, and "the pill", made available in the sixties helped that to happen. Compared to today's bullshit, it was a better time, gas was 36.9 cents where I worked after school in High School , people spoke their minds as there was no "political correctness" being pervasively pushed on you. Terrorism and ISIS weren't here. Aids wasn't either widely known of, or discovered yet. Rock n Roll was still king prior to the New Wave and Punk and ( ugh ) disco. Black American music artists were still considered amongst the finest, Rap didn't exist. In 1971, the Arab Oil Embargo, along with the gas crisis was still a few years away, so high performance cars and muscle cars were still prowling every city in the U.S. Back in 1971, you could be fresh out of school, looking for work, and you could find a job within a day. Girls didn't de-face their bodies with tats and guys kept their pants up at waist level. Drive-bys, car chases on the nightly news, and people shooting other people with guns was unheard of then. If only we could have forseen the future, we'd have known just how good we had it.

After I got my new 1971 Mach 1 Boss 351, I would start buying up all those shitty Boss 429 mustangs and Hemi Cuda's, Hemi Chargers, Hemi Challengers that waste so much gas and put them in storage for 50 years.......

Yeah, I'd go back and save a few as well. Funny thing is, I did have some cool cars throughout the years. They were all just used cars then...had a Model A, a chopped '34, had a '39, had a ram air 70 Olds 442, a '65 Mustang Hi-Po coupe, a '66 Shelby GT-350...….eventually sold each as life moved on. I've told my wife that my '71 Mach is never going to be sold, as I have gotten tired of telling people about the neat cars I USED TO have. I'm keeping this one.

!sostatic….

How did guys ever get laid looking like that?  Compared to today, I'd say easily and just as often, if not more. We didn't "text", "E-mail", facetime, or "Twitter" a girl,.....we actually talked to them. The 70s youth had face to face people skills. The Hair and clothing styles today will seem just as weird to the generation 20 years from now. Clothing styles had nothing to do with it. The beginning of the seventies was kind of a continuation of the late sixties. There was still a bit of "peace and love" in the air, and "the pill", made available in the sixties helped that to happen. Compared to today's bullshit, it was a better time, gas was 36.9 cents where I worked after school in High School , people spoke their minds as there was no "political correctness" being pervasively pushed on you. Terrorism and ISIS weren't here. Aids wasn't either widely known of, or discovered yet.  Rock n Roll was still king prior to the New Wave and Punk and ( ugh ) disco. Black American music artists were still considered amongst the finest, Rap didn't exist.  In 1971, the Arab Oil Embargo, along with the gas crisis was still a few years away, so high performance cars and muscle cars were still prowling every city in the U.S.  Back in 1971, you could be fresh out of school, looking for work, and you could find a job within a day. Girls didn't de-face their bodies with tats and guys kept their pants up at waist level. Drive-bys, car chases on the nightly news, and people shooting other people with guns was unheard of then. If only we could have forseen the future, we'd have known just how good we had it.
+1 Face to face has almost become extinct. There wasnt so mkuch violent crime. A fight used to be with fists only. LOL rap isnt music its people that cannot sing chatting sh-it

Bring back national service and conscript ALL 18 year olds into the armed services for 3 years. That would sort most of todays problems

Back