Z Bar fitment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The felt washer is a seal as the bar and engine side pivot will be moving with engine movement and the frame mount will not.

Does the z bar move OK ... if so either leave it as is or

1 - Move drive train to gain a bit of clearance - you have everything loose... Board and jack under the oil pan to pick up some of the wt and pry on the drivers side frame mount a little bit.... see if it moves easy

OR

2 - cut of grind [ then de-bur ] the end of the bar to get clearance

Stanglovers looks pretty tight too

Don, I know, but the frame mounts are factory, so are the engine mounts. Only the tailstock mount is repo, so it is possible the tail is off line a bit. This is something on the "check list" for spring when I reinstall the rear axle, springs and I'm also going to get the driveshaft balanced with new Timkin U joints. It is possible the drive line is off and that might cause the fit at the Z bar to be tight. I honestly don't remember what the clearance, if any, was before I pulled the drivetrain back in 2012.

I don't have any problem with clutch activation as it is.

Geoff.

Don, I know, but the frame mounts are factory, so are the engine mounts. Only the tailstock mount is repo, so it is possible the tail is off line a bit. This is something on the "check list" for spring when I reinstall the rear axle, springs and I'm also going to get the driveshaft balanced with new Timkin U joints. It is possible the drive line is off and that might cause the fit at the Z bar to be tight. I honestly don't remember what the clearance, if any, was before I pulled the drivetrain back in 2012.

Geoff.
Geoff, not saying anything is wrong with yours... Just pointing out to him you don't need / want a ton of clearance.

The engine lifts up on WOT and then there might be too much clearance

Geoff.
Geoff, not saying anything is wrong with yours... Just pointing out to him you don't need / want a ton of clearance.

The engine lifts up on WOT and then there might be too much clearance
 Don, yes I agree. Mine has never been a problem, or at least that I've noticed.

Even if my tailstock is out a fraction, it won't make very much difference at the Z bar mount position. It's just something I want to check when I reinstall the rear axle. However, if a tailstock mount were to be out by a 1/4" or more, then it might have some effect on clearance I would think. Personally I don't think he has a problem to worry about unless the Z bar sticks. I would cut that felt down to about 1/4" thick though, which is about what mine was.

Geoff.

Before you get carried away is the motor and trans centered now or close to center  Does to sit level ?

They are standard 65-72 motor mounts , probably import so the rubber sticking out on one more than the other wouldn't surprise me.

One another note you were looking for some power steering parts tube and bracket I think

Let me know if any of these are what you need

I found two different locator brackets 

Wow!  Do I spy 4 S-tubes on that Ram Air hood?  

kcmash

It's been so long and I don't remember if it's possible to install the transmission crossmember backwards.
I finally got the z bar fitment sorted out. It was an error on my part. I'm embarrassed to tell you that when we installed the engine and transmission I re-installed the crossmember from the C6 transmission. The crossmembeer installed o.k., but held the tail shaft of the transmission up too high, causing the z bar to bind.

Realizing what I had done, I installed the correct crossmember. The Z bar now rotates freely.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

It's been so long and I don't remember if it's possible to install the transmission crossmember backwards.
I finally got the z bar fitment sorted out. It was an error on my part. I'm embarrassed to tell you that when we installed the engine and transmission I re-installed the crossmember from the C6 transmission. The crossmembeer installed o.k., but held the tail shaft of the transmission up too high, causing the z bar to bind.

Realizing what I had done, I installed the correct crossmember. The Z bar now rotates freely.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
 That's wonderful news! 

Don't feel embarrassed, we , me especially, have made some pretty dumb mistakes in the past and likely in the future too. It's just the way it is and we only learn from our mistakes.

Geoff.

Back