Don't you love the "I'm gonna fix'er up one of these day, guys!"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
For the last 3 - 4 years, I have seen this red 1971 fastback sitting by an old gas station in a town near by. I have stopped and looked at it a year or so ago and noticed a Boss 351 decal on the fender. I'm one of those people that don't like messing with other peoples stuff so I tried read the vin on the dash to no avail. I left and thought I would go back by there down the road to see if it is still there. Well, this past weekend I went back by there. There it was, still sitting. I tried the door and it opened and I did confirm it was an "R" code Boss 351, 4 speed and all. I found out who owned the place and called yesterday and guess what I got. "That's not for sale for any amount of money, i'm gonna fix'er up one day." I will keep going by there and checking on it from time to time. But that is so disappointing.

For the last 3 - 4 years, I have seen this red 1971 fastback sitting by an old gas station in a town near by. I have stopped and looked at it a year or so ago and noticed a Boss 351 decal on the fender. I'm one of those people that don't like messing with other peoples stuff so I tried read the vin on the dash to no avail. I left and thought I would go back by there down the road to see if it is still there. Well, this past weekend I went back by there. There it was, still sitting. I tried the door and it opened and I did confirm it was an "R" code Boss 351, 4 speed and all. I found out who owned the place and called yesterday and guess what I got. "That's not for sale for any amount of money, i'm gonna fix'er up one day." I will keep going by there and checking on it from time to time. But that is so disappointing.
It's on his list, he'll get to it, haha. 🤣

The saddest part is someday his wife and or kids will sell it for cheap or worse scrap it. They won't have whatever emotional tie he has to it and will not understand what it is or what it could be.

I am sure someone will get some great deals on a few cars a day or so after I tip. My wife will wait 24-36 hours to sell my "junks" so she won't look to anxious to get rid of them, haha.

It's on his list, he'll get to it, haha. 🤣

The saddest part is someday his wife and or kids will sell it for cheap or worse scrap it. They won't have whatever emotional tie he has to it and will not understand what it is or what it could be.

I am sure someone will get some great deals on a few cars a day or so after I tip. My wife will wait 24-36 hours to sell my "junks" so she won't look to anxious to get rid of them, haha.
That's what I told my wife....don't sell anything until I am room temperature.

I can't say much. I have a Boss that's been sitting on top of a lift in my shop for almost 20 years now, while I worked on other projects. I was going to start on it last year, and then situations changed and I started on my oldest son's first car, a '69 Fairlane 500 Convertible rust bucket instead.

Attachments

• rust2.jpg
    rust2.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a 71 Mach I would like to restore tomorrow, but tomorrow is always the next day. Mine is inside though unlike so many that are dying outside which also means they will be scrap metal tomorrow, which is simply wrong, selfish and irrational. To me the cars are more important than my dreams that might ruin the car and should be sold if you aren't going to be a good caretaker. I am probably going to sell mine as I have too much going on and age is going at a fast pace.

As with those that wrote before me, my 73 has been in the "process" for about 20 years. As my workload in other areas has tapered off and I am now approaching 75 years, the urgency of getting it finished is more profound. The time hasn't been a complete loss.
  • Learnt to weld from utube and now capable of spot welding and stitching down to 0.028 panel.
  • Searching for parts and procurement.
  • Loom, wire tracing and remediation including added appliances, lights and services.
  • Acrylic and base coat/clear coat painting.
  • Working on paintless dent removal.
  • Creating new tools and hardware. The approach, attitude and patience for these things has been learnt from you guys at 73 Mustangs for which I am most grateful. Engine bay.jpgInterior.jpgLooms.jpgPanel work.jpg

HE'S going to fix 'er up someday??????? Oh, so he's a master bodyman, he's a master engine man, he knows every inch of that car and what is right and wrong, He's done all of that work before, many, many, many times, so much so that his proficiency is "off the charts"????????? My sarcastic point being this, techs at your local Ford Dealership won't touch it, because, even with all their technical background, they've never even touched one before. Take it to most mechanics shops, and just see if they've ever done a '71-'73 Mustang. Truth is, "HE" is likely not going to fix much on his own, he's going to have to find competent people who can bring it back, especially if it's really a "Boss 351". The old guys who know their shit are getting older, and may not be here when HE decides to fix it. Which brings up the point, How Old Will He Be When He Decides To Fix It, he'll be an old man too, and not to savvy to lie upside-down under the car or dashboard for hours to repair something, that you really can't see well because your reading glasses are the wrong power for close-up work. These someday people are fooling themselves. Owning a restored car , or spending the cash to fix one up, is like having a baby.......If you wait until you can afford it, you'll never have kids. If you are waiting for that magic day when you hit the lottery, forget it. Do it NOW, take out a loan, get it done while there's still some original parts around, the car will be worth something finished. If afterwards, you need to sell it, you have a valuable car to sell, not a rusted out, non-running, parts missing, headache. I borrowed from my Bank to have my dragboats, my Home, my Wife's new car, my new truck, and you finance medical expenses don't you? Make the payments and get it done. Don't hoard a vehicle, pass it on if you don't have enough love of it.

Last edited:
Spike hits all the right notes on why the current owner will never complete any dreamy restoration. The current owner has probably not realized that costs for vintage mustang restorations have rocketed hundreds times higher than from 30+ yrs ago and good original parts have vanished. Or maybe he thinks some reality TV show will come do the work for him...

Yes we all love those "I'm gonna fix her up one day" people. While not an American muscle car, it took me a decade to get this Datsun 2000 roadster from a guy parked in the desert under a tree with no top on. It was just a fun car to road race.

Spike hits all the right notes on why the current owner will never complete any dreamy restoration. The current owner has probably not realized that costs for vintage mustang restorations have rocketed hundreds times higher than from 30+ yrs ago and good original parts have vanished. Or maybe he thinks some reality TV show will come do the work for him...
But it all depends on what his definition of 'fix her up' means.
For many people it's do enough stuff to pass inspection and drive around the block. Not everyone has a full blown restoration in mind.

Still doesn't mean it will happen...

As with those that wrote before me, my 73 has been in the "process" for about 20 years. As my workload in other areas has tapered off and I am now approaching 75 years, the urgency of getting it finished is more profound. The time hasn't been a complete loss.
  • Learnt to weld from utube and now capable of spot welding and stitching down to 0.028 panel.
  • Searching for parts and procurement.
  • Loom, wire tracing and remediation including added appliances, lights and services.
  • Acrylic and base coat/clear coat painting.
  • Working on paintless dent removal.
  • Creating new tools and hardware. The approach, attitude and patience for these things has been learnt from you guys at 73 Mustangs for which I am most grateful. View attachment 88586View attachment 88587View attachment 88588View attachment 88589
Vern, what kind of parts are you needing?

Hi Bill, at the moment I am looking for a charcoal canister for the tank venting system. Extremely hard to find one even in 'The States' but here in Australia....almost impossible.
I've had a response from CandyRcode but I feel embarrassed to put her through all the trouble of posting it out here. It was only yesterday and I haven't heard back yet.
Thanks Bill for your interest. I'll keep you posted.
Vern

Hi Bill, at the moment I am looking for a charcoal canister for the tank venting system. Extremely hard to find one even in 'The States' but here in Australia....almost impossible.
I've had a response from CandyRcode but I feel embarrassed to put her through all the trouble of posting it out here. It was only yesterday and I haven't heard back yet.
Thanks Bill for your interest. I'll keep you posted.
Vern
I don't have a Charcoal Canister at this current Time, so sorry sir

Nope, it hasn't been back there very long. And before you ask, it's not for sale. I'm fixin' to get started on her real soon!

View attachment 88595
I was looking at this photo, and have concluded that it is staged. The car was placed and mocked up around that tree. Boiling pots for headlights. Hood cut out especially for the tree, no lug nuts, non-collapsed tires, wooden structure in front. Whimsical, fun, but staged.

I was looking at this photo, and have concluded that it is staged. The car was placed and mocked up around that tree. Boiling pots for headlights. Hood cut out especially for the tree, no lug nuts, non-collapsed tires, wooden structure in front. Whimsical, fun, but staged.
No, it just has a tree50 in it.

Back