Like a proud papa

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" Code Mach1
You know, we don't always find that "great deal" all the time when we are searching for parts. Especially when the parts are a bit harder to find in good enough shape to rebuild or refinish. I, like most of you have spent a ton of $$'s on repop parts.
I found an ad on Offerup from some guy in my area with a box of leftover parts. I worked like hell to get this guy to answer back my posts to him about coming to see what he had. In the pictures in the ad I noticed a steering wheel that looked to be in decent shape and it was the 2 spoke design I was looking for. Well, I finally got to go meet the guy to look at the parts he had. I told him I was most interested in the steering wheel. He looked around his shed, pulling parts out and moving things around and he finally found the wheel. The pad looked good and there was some plastic that had broken off the spokes but nothing too bad. The wheel had one of those GT500 old school covers on it so I felt around the rim and didn't feel any separations (which I expected). We haggled a bit about the price and settled on $60. I got the wheel home and disassembled it. There were no breaks in the rim and the pad and horn button vinyl/ plastics were in very good shape. A little distortion from age but not bad. I tested the horn button electronics and to my surprise, they were functional. So, for the cost of a can of SEM satin black paint and a new horn button from Classic Industries, I have what you see here in the picture. I told my wife that this is the most special part of the whole car to me (She questioned my sanity) . What I thought I would end up paying $400-$700 for ended up costing $100. I am happy like a new father! As you are all well aware, it's not often we score a deal that ends up this good. To all my Mustang loving brethren, have a great day.

Attachments

• PXL_20240509_024359117.jpg
    PXL_20240509_024359117.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Nice find... I found one a few years ago in great condition. The gentleman bought the car from Mecum for his wife and she hated the wheel and he put a cheesy aftermarket wheel on it instead. It was perfect with no crack or wear on the wheel or horn button. It surely was a score.
Thanks, Jay

You know, we don't always find that "great deal" all the time when we are searching for parts. Especially when the parts are a bit harder to find in good enough shape to rebuild or refinish. I, like most of you have spent a ton of $$'s on repop parts.
I found an ad on Offerup from some guy in my area with a box of leftover parts. I worked like hell to get this guy to answer back my posts to him about coming to see what he had. In the pictures in the ad I noticed a steering wheel that looked to be in decent shape and it was the 2 spoke design I was looking for. Well, I finally got to go meet the guy to look at the parts he had. I told him I was most interested in the steering wheel. He looked around his shed, pulling parts out and moving things around and he finally found the wheel. The pad looked good and there was some plastic that had broken off the spokes but nothing too bad. The wheel had one of those GT500 old school covers on it so I felt around the rim and didn't feel any separations (which I expected). We haggled a bit about the price and settled on $60. I got the wheel home and disassembled it. There were no breaks in the rim and the pad and horn button vinyl/ plastics were in very good shape. A little distortion from age but not bad. I tested the horn button electronics and to my surprise, they were functional. So, for the cost of a can of SEM satin black paint and a new horn button from Classic Industries, I have what you see here in the picture. I told my wife that this is the most special part of the whole car to me (She questioned my sanity) . What I thought I would end up paying $400-$700 for ended up costing $100. I am happy like a new father! As you are all well aware, it's not often we score a deal that ends up this good. To all my Mustang loving brethren, have a great day.
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the fireplug. You definitely came out the big dog on this deal.

Back