Does Your Car Seem Sluggish

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Check the alternator and regulator.

We had charging issues so the alt and reg

were replaced. Not only does the car start

easier on cold mornings but has a LOT more

pickup.

For the tech guys; How is juice from the alt

divided between charging and spark plugs?

I would not be posting this thread if there was

not a significant difference in performance with

the new reg and alt.

I should move this thread to the one already

discussing the issue, but I never graduated from

moderator school so I don't know how to do that.

mike

How is juice from the alt divided between charging and spark plugs?

It isn't. The alternator supplies the battery according to the voltage regulator and current to the rest of the car in combination from the battery. The battery acts as a stabilizer for any spikes in voltage. Once voltage has reached the ignition switch, one line runs out to the coil, where it is amplified and sent to the sparking plugs.

I have seen most original engine gauge feed harnesses fail good continuity from the 3 or 4 pin plug out to the coil, primarily due to high internal resistance within the molded connector. The crimps inside the molded connector fail a bit, and reduces your voltage at the coil itself.

If you think this is a problem, hook up a wire (temporarily) between the battery and the coil post and see if the car performs better. If it does, then suspicion is pointing towards lower voltage being delivered to the coil.

To recap, on cold mornings (40) it would take several seconds cranking and sometimes

tapping the gas pedal to start rough at best. With new alt/reg, tap gas, turn key two seconds =

1700 RPM steady.

mike

Back