Thanks for being a part of this community! To fund its operation, we have a Supporting Member program. It helps to ensure this community thrives for years to come.
Please consider investing in this community!
For more information please visit: Account upgrades
Hi. I have a Ford tooling dash pad that rattles even though I have added cushioning. I think I am going to replace it with a urethane dash pad I also have but didn't use because I couldn't find suitable u clips for the 4 screws that attach the dash pad to the front of the dash. The standard u clips won't spread enough to go over the really thick lip on the underside of the urethane dash pad. The mounting strip on the pad is much thicker than the oem or ford tooling version (which is fairly thin metal) Can anyone recommend a suitable workaround and/or a specific u-clip that is wide enough or flexible enough to work with the urethane dash pad?
How to replace your 71-73 Dash Pad.
1. First, obtain your new dash pad from your favorite Mustang parts vendor.
2. Start by removing the original dashboard from the top. Unscrew the six screws aligned across the front of the top and also taking out the three screws above the instrument panel.
3. Continue by taking out three additional screws laid across the top of the passenger side. These are the ones that keep the top of the dashboard in place.
4. Lift the top of the dashboard and pull out the entire assembly being careful not to scratch the a pillar trim.
5. Remove the five tinnerman nuts on the back of the dashboard panel assembly. Use an 11/32-inch socket.
6. Now, separate the dashpad and crown as shown in the...
This started as a thread under maintenance I decided to copy it here so more people could look it over, I hope this helps everyone when they need to rebuild or service this box behind the dashboard on 71-73 cars equiped with air conditioning.
Link to my photos of rebuilding a heater A/C box you may have to copy and paste the link to make it work right due to spaces.
http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y377/72hcode/Heater Box AC/
Reference this for position of levers
Make sure your octopus is in good shape and the rubber isn't falling apart.
The problem is the colors fad over time. Example Purple can be faded to white.
1971 to 1973 fastbacks didn't come out with wind down quarter windows - the only way you could go pillarless was to order the electric window option. However all the holes and mounting points are pressed into the inner rear quarter side wall to allow the winding mechanism from a '71-'73 coupe to be transferred directly into a fastback. Why Ford didn't sell the fastbacks with manual wind down quarters when they were clearly designed to have them fitted is a mystery, but I'm assuming some stingy beancounter worked out he could save $20 per car if they were deleted.
The first step is to buy all the bits needed for the conversion, and eBay is the best place to look. I was lucky enough to find a seller who was selling the complete kit of...