Exterior Door Handle Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73mach1whiskey

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 Ram Air 351C
Hello

Sorry if this is discussed but i could not find it. i am trying to remove the door handle to see if it can be fixed. the rod attaching to the latch is slipping off of the handle. (not sure how to explain but it is the "rod" latch on the handle slipping) i need to remove it regardless to fix or replace but i don't want to screw it up any more than it is already.

the door sometimes wont open from the outside so i have to open it from the passenger side

does anyone have any tips or removal instructions?

i have went to garages, body shops around my area and no one wants to touch it for some reason so i'm left to figure it out myself.

Thanks

The door panel is removed. i dont see anything broke just looks like it is slipping. the rod attaches to the exterior door handle but there is a catch/latch that rest on the interior of the exterior door handle. that is the part slipping off. The rod coming up from the latch is loose at the top of the door handle. was going to try and tighten it but i can't get the handle out because of the latch/rod.

The catch as you call it, pivots on the handle. It should have an end that pushes up and goes around the rod. If you need to take the handle off, there are 2 7/16ths (I think)nuts that hold the handle to the door skin. Here are some pictures.

DSCN2593.JPGDSCN2596.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it does pivot. sorry i dont know exactly what to call it. the bolts are removed i just don't know how to remove the rod. do i just force it off with pliers and hope for the best? sorry for the dumb questions but no one in my area has any idea either. thanks for your time btw.

If the ord on the handle is attached it could also fall off at the bottom. I just had to get a handle froma junk yard since one of the "bars" that attachh the outside part you physically pull on to the place that it pivits has broken and the metal is of low quality adn coan not be welded.

thanks everyone for the responses. unfortunately i have not had much time to look at my door again. this does help and i will let you all know how it goes.

well i seemed to have gotten it fixed. two issues with the door were it would not close properly and the above problem. The problem above was the bolt as seen in the picture thanks to marks73 was slightly bent. i fixed by cutting some washers and using zipties. i know it's more of a bandaid but it works and its cheaper than replacing for now at least.

The second issue was the door would just not fasten sometimes but that was an easy fix by replacing the striker bushing.

thanks everyone for responding and helping out. sorry for the slow responses and updates.

DSCN2593bolt.jpg

Back