Ram Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
With OEM ram air on my 71 Mustang..do I have fitment issues with either the Blue thunder intake or the Air Gap

Thanks

This question has been asked numerous times with many different answers. For me it fit ok on my 73 but there was a motor mount change that year and that could make the difference.

I saw this on this site:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1336671812/%B470+Mach+I-+Headers+and+intake+fitment

shaker

May 13 2012, 4:13 PM

As far as I know, the Blue thunder manifold will work with the 1970 shaker and the 1971 - 1973 ram air assemblies; unmodified.

The Shelby/Blue Thunder carburetor pad is about 5/8" higher than the production manifold's carburetor pad. The thick rubber seal that seals the 1970 shaker assembly or 1971 - 1973 ram air assembly to the engine compartment hood (bonnet) is capable of compressing to make up the difference in height.

The carburetor is also more centered on the Shelby/Blue Thunder manifold, whereas the carburetor is off-set to the rear of the motor on the production manifold. But again, it appears Ford engineers allowed for enough fore-aft adjustment to make up that difference too.

I've come to the conclusion over the years that the Shelby/Blue Thunder manifold's ability to work with the shaker & ram air assemblies was intentional, since Ford engineers designed both the manifold and the shaker & ram air assemblies.

So the decision is a flip of the coin in my opinion, you won't know till you try.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blue thunder maybe, The RPM Air Gap NO. I just bought an air gap, and its 2" taller than my performer. In my car even the performer is a tight fit. My car is a 1972 with the run of the mill Cleveland motor mounts. I was going to buy he BT until I read somewhere that the plenum height is taller than stock, and the price. ($455+$150 for runner equalization?) Might as well buy a Boss intake off Ebay for this kind of money!!!

Back