should I lower my front end?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md80man48

Reaction score
My Car
1972 2 door coupe w/351.
I am new to this site. I would like to know what your opinion is about lowering the front end. I have a 72 coupe that I plan on being a daily driver. I do plan on putting a mach 1 hood and racing stripes. But nothing radical.

thanks

md80man48

In my opinion, yes. 1/2 coil of of the stock springs using a cut off wheel. Drops it about 3/4 of an inch. Chuck

I'll be dropping my my front end of my coupe. I don't see it as lowering as much as "leveling".

However there's a Shelby mod that involves drilling new holes to move the upper control arm up a little bit. This is supposed to enhance the handling and effectively lower the front end.

It's much easier to cut the coils and you don't have to ruin your sheet metal depending if you care enough about that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine with the 1" drop higher rate front coils sits perfectly.

I used it as a daily driver before the family came along.

How about the aftermarket coils on e-bay? That offer a 1" drop? I do want to replace the coils one because of age and another for the drop in the front end.

thanks

The shelby mod does not apply to 71-73. Ford incorporated the "drop" in 71. Plus, I don't believe there would be enough room to drop the UCA mounting point even if you wanted to do so. I have seen people drop more than the specified amount and the ball joint bottoms in the slot cause rapid failure of the ball joint. If done properly it does improve handling a noticeable amount. Chuck

A couple of things here, if the front sits too high there is no issue with the current springs.

What I do is to decide how far I want the front to go down, then with the car sitting on all fours on level ground I measure the distance from the top of one coil to the top of the next. That gives an amount of vertical drop if 1 coil was removed. Then calculate the distance from the pivot shaft to the spring perch and the disatance from the perch to the ball joint. On our cars it's real close to equal. this gives you the ratio to cut the spring. for example if the coil to coil distance is 1" and the ratio is 50% cutting 1 coil will yield a 2" drop. This is very effective and I've had a ton of success using this method on many different brands and styles of suspensions. A side benefit to cutting your springs is a slight increase in stiffness without killing the ride characteristics. Springs should just support the car's weight, roll control is the job of the swaybars and shocks.

Second, if you replace the springs with higher rate "1 inch lowering" springs, the result will be very unpredictable, depending on the options and weight additions and subtractions to the front of the car.

Finally, the "Shelby/Arning" drop is already built into our cars. Lowering the front pivot further requires significant surgery to the shock tower. From my experience the camber gain in compression is sufficient for a great handling road car. I autocross mine and it handles admirably for a 40 year old car with essentially a stock suspension.

BTW, I dropped the front about 3" on mine, the only worry is crashing the front spoiler on bumper blocks and curbs.

Back