351c intake manifold removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hey guys I am removing my stock intake manifold from my 351 Cleveland so I can change carbs. Do I need to drain the radiator fluid first? I looked for info here but couldn't find the answer. Thank's!

Hey guys I am removing my stock intake manifold from my 351 Cleveland so I can change carbs. Do I need to drain the radiator fluid first? I looked for info here but couldn't find the answer. Thank's!
NO! That is the beauty of a cleveland. It is a dry intake.

Just did this 2 weeks ago. No draining needed as TommyK says. What are you putting in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Q code engine w/the 4300d spreadbore carb. The carb had a leak just above the fuel filter, which the po tried to fix with some kind of epoxy. I knew this would be an issue one day & that day was yesterday.

I had been keeping an eye on it for a while, & it was leaking to much fuel for me to drive anymore.

I am putting an Edelbrock Performer intake on, along with a Holley Street Avenger 770 carb. Can't wait to see how much better this will be.

I just got finished removing the cast iron intake, got everything all cleaned up & ready to install tomorrow.

I have to toot my horn a little bit cause I did this one handed. My left arm is pretty much useless from a head on snowmobile accident. I have a Brachial Plexus injury (tore all the nerves apart in my shoulder). At least my fingers kind of work & I'm right handed.

Anyway, I got back into cars & it's great therapy working on it. The only thing I needed help doing was to lift off the old cast iron intake. Man that thing is heavy! My helper today on break.

View attachment 32814

View attachment 28254

057.JPG

jpaz,

Should be a lot more efficient and you should a difference in performance. I would definitely keep the old gear since it is not being made any more. Check out Pony Carburetor's website.

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

Let us know how it is working.

mustang7173

I hope your shoulder gets better soon.
Thank's TommyK, I had a 7 hour surgery @ the University of Michigan about 5 years ago. It has helped me get some movement in my hand & a little in my arm, but not much. I have just had to learn how to do things different. Thank's again for the well wishes & advice!

jpaz,

Should be a lot more efficient and you should a difference in performance. I would definitely keep the old gear since it is not being made any more. Check out Pony Carburetor's website.

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/

Let us know how it is working.

mustang7173
I will definitely keep the old gear. It's all original equipment. Thank You for the link.

Good luck with your project and show us some pictures when you get done.

Ok, so yesterday I planed on getting my new Performer intake on, but of course I was sold the wrong gaskets.:mad: I even bought Edelbrock gaskets to match the intake. I have 4v heads & I got gaskets for 2v heads. Got them from Summit, gave them a call & they told me the ones I got were correct. Call Edelbrock tech line & they told me they don't even make gaskets for the 4v's only the 2v. He suggested to get Fel-Pro gaskets, they make them for 4v's & return the Edelbrock gaskets to Summit.

Heading to local auto parts store to pick the up now, & hopefully I can get this back together today.

Ok, so yesterday I planed on getting my new Performer intake on, but of course I was sold the wrong gaskets.:mad: I even bought Edelbrock gaskets to match the intake. I have 4v heads & I got gaskets for 2v heads. Got them from Summit, gave them a call & they told me the ones I got were correct. Call Edelbrock tech line & they told me they don't even make gaskets for the 4v's only the 2v. He suggested to get Fel-Pro gaskets, they make them for 4v's & return the Edelbrock gaskets to Summit.

Heading to local auto parts store to pick the up now, & hopefully I can get this back together today.
John:

Is the performer the model that mimics the height of the stock manifold? If I order from Summit its a safe bet I will get the incorrect gaskets as well. Odd that Edelbrock doesn't make gaskets for the 4V. Thanks for the warning on that. I'll get Felpro. When you get a chance can you give me an idea of the parts you ordered and the sealants you used as well as any issues you encountered? I was also thinking of painting the manifold unless there is some reason not to do so.

I got ARP bolts for 351 C, Fel-Pro #1228 intake gaskets, Gasgachinch to apply on the cylinder head, & cylinder head side of gaskets. Then use Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker for the valley ends. Don't use the cork end gaskets that come w/the intake gaskets, they leak.

Get a couple of stud bolts to put in the cylinder heads to help you guide the manifold on. I used Loctite head bolt & water jacket sealant on all bolts.

After you put the Black Permatex on, put manifold on, put all bolts in hand tight & let sit for an hour before torqueing.

Just follow the torque pattern provided with the intake, pretty straight forward. Tighten to 20 ft lbs in 10 lb increments. Do this twice, torque to 10 lbs, then re-torque to 10 again, then torque to 20 lbs then re-torque to 20.

Let sit for 24 hours so the black permatex can cure.

Make sure to dry fit everything, especially the gaskets. I had to shave a little material from some of the bolt holes in the gaskets to make a good fit.

Hope this helps! I'll add some pics too.

View attachment 28288View attachment 28289View attachment 28290

John:

Is the performer the model that mimics the height of the stock manifold? If I order from Summit its a safe bet I will get the incorrect gaskets as well. Odd that Edelbrock doesn't make gaskets for the 4V. Thanks for the warning on that. I'll get Felpro. When you get a chance can you give me an idea of the parts you ordered and the sealants you used as well as any issues you encountered? I was also thinking of painting the manifold unless there is some reason not to do so.
Yes, this intake is the same height as the stock one, & you can paint it if you want.

Not sure what carb you are using, but you may have to modify the throttle linkage or add a spacer to clear the intake runner on drivers side. I'm adding a 1" spacer to mine, I don't have ram air so not worried about that. I measured this all up and should have no hood clearance issues.

John:

Yes, this intake is the same height as the stock one, & you can paint it if you want.

Not sure what carb you are using, but you may have to modify the throttle linkage or add a spacer to clear the intake runner on drivers side. I'm adding a 1" spacer to mine, I don't have ram air so not worried about that. I measured this all up and should have no hood clearance issues.
I have an Edelbrock 1406 that is currently sitting on the stock EGR spacer which of course I would remove with this install. So, it is very possible I will need a spacer to get the carb back up to the height it is now where the linkage and everything else fits well. Glad you mentioned it. I think it is the one spacer I don't have! If you choose one and can post a pic or part number I would appreciate it.

By the way, did you leave the turkey pan in or out? is there anything else that should be removed or blocked off? I assume I get a non EGR manifold as I will not be running the EGR?

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience.

Jeff

Jeff, I used an Edelbrock #8710 1" phenolic (black plastic) 4 barrel spacer. I think they also have a 1/2"spacer too. No turkey pan. The Edelbrock manifold #2665 I am using has no EGR. My throttle linkage hooked up fine. The trans kickdwn linkage seems to be ok too. I still need to get it running good & check everything.

Back