71 Mach 1 (non-tach) Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Reaction score
My Car
71' Mustang Mach 1
I could use some help from the behind the dash wiring gurus. There are 4 wire connectors in three images, and I have no idea what they are for. I’m attempting to figure it out before putting the dash back together. I didn’t unplug them and fear they have been hanging out prior to my ownership. It’s been real fun, and my wiring diagram hasn’t been much help.

Wire Issue 1 and 2

1) Just behind the dash and the light switch there is a two-wire connector. One wire is black with a blue stripe. The other wire has two black and two blue stripes. There is power to this connector during key off and on
2) Right behind the cluster in the center there is this two red wire round plug. No power in it.

Wire Issue 3

3) Off to the right of the steering wheel and under the dash there is this plug that looks like it might slide onto some bracket and then also plug into something. It has one green with red stripe wire, and either a yellow or brown wire. No power in it. Does this happen to be part of the break light switch wiring?
  • I also don’t know what the thing is in the red circle.
Wire Issue 4

4) Left of the steering wheel, under the dash, and up near where the harness goes into the engine compartment there is this one wire plug. I think it’s just a green wire, but it’s got junk on it. No power in it.

Attachments

• Wire Issue 1 and 2.jpg
    Wire Issue 1 and 2.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 2
  • Wire Issue 3.jpg
    Wire Issue 3.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Wire Issue 4.jpg
    Wire Issue 4.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
1. optional lead for underdash courtesy lights.
2. lead for some sort of run-only device, probably emissions-related. I've never seen anything connected to it. You can ignore it.
3. Definitely brake switch connector.
4. not a clear picture, but likely the optional hand brake indicator plug, only available for use with the optional convenience harness.

Back