Choke Fresh air intake hose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
My 73 Mach 1 has a Holley Carb, 4V, 80457-1, 600 CFM. It was idling rough so I suspected a vacum leak. In checking everything I pulled the air cleaner off and notice a loose hose underneath. See picture it has a small metal device sticking out one end of the rubber hose. In trying to figure out where the connection went it was placed in the Choke Fresh air intake at the bottom of the carb. The other end was connected to a vacum connection on the intake manifold. I did some research and found out there is suppose to be a hose running from the bottom Choke Fresh air intake to the other connection at the top of the carb as you see int the upper right of the picture. The question is do I run the connection as described in the research and plug the extra vacum connection or place it back in the Choke Fresh air intake and leave it be?

carbpic2.jpg

carb3.jpg

the hole on the choke (next to the black plastic) is the fresh air intake that keeps the electric choke bi-metal spring from overheating and self-destructing.

that hole should be left open to atmosphere.

the upper hose connection by the intake base, appears to be a fuel Bowl vent tube. this should be hooked up to the Charcoal canister, or left open to vent.

no idea about whats in the hose.

nothing from those 2 should be directed into full manifold vacuum.

I added another picture to depict and show that there is a small hose running from the top into the Choke fresh air intake hole. Mine is not setup like this so I'm wondering if I should do it?

well i've never seen a holley setup like that before, on the DP holley the intake for the choke is left open and there is a small vacuum that brings fresh air into the element to cool it down and keep it from melting.

if that is the correct carb model layout then you should follow it.

good point about caping the upper part it does lay under the air cleaner.

Back