Correct PCV set up and parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I've been online the past few days researching how to set up the PCV, along with the breather, and what are the correct parts I need to purchase. In searching, I see the different people install and connect the PCV differently.

I just got my engine back from the builder. It is an H code motor, not converted to a 4v motor. I have a completed lower end, with TFS heads installed. I have purchased a set of inexpensive Edelbrock chrome valve covers to install. I will be using a Holley 670 avenger carburetor, and edelbrock manifold.

I guess my first question is do I need a spacer plate, or will the PCV hose connect directly to the carb?

Should the front portion of the drivers side valve cover have the oil cap installed, and a hose routed to the back of the carburetor? If this is correct, does the PCV install into the oil cap, or inline with the hose prior to connecting to the rear of the carb?

On the rear portion of the passenger valve cover, should there be a breather connected to a hose that connects to the air filter?

I will need to know the correct grommets to be used with the edelbrock valve covers, along with which breather is compatible. Any info on oil caps, and specific hoses would be helpful.

Thanks

I've been online the past few days researching how to set up the PCV, along with the breather, and what are the correct parts I need to purchase. In searching, I see the different people install and connect the PCV differently.

I just got my engine back from the builder. It is an H code motor, not converted to a 4v motor. I have a completed lower end, with TFS heads installed. I have purchased a set of inexpensive Edelbrock chrome valve covers to install. I will be using a Holley 670 avenger carburetor, and edelbrock manifold.

I guess my first question is do I need a spacer plate, or will the PCV hose connect directly to the carb?

Should the front portion of the drivers side valve cover have the oil cap installed, and a hose routed to the back of the carburetor? If this is correct, does the PCV install into the oil cap, or inline with the hose prior to connecting to the rear of the carb?

On the rear portion of the passenger valve cover, should there be a breather connected to a hose that connects to the air filter?

I will need to know the correct grommets to be used with the edelbrock valve covers, along with which breather is compatible. Any info on oil caps, and specific hoses would be helpful.

Thanks

I assume you have a 72 H code. I have a 73 H-code, but I think they were similar. Mine has stock valve covers, EGR plate, and a Ford 4100A 600 cfm carb.

I assume you do not plan to install a 4v EGR and plate.

The front portion of the driver's side valve cover is where to place the oil cap with the PCV valve. Stock Ford 2100 or 4100 carbs had a connection for the PCV hose on the back. I think your Holley 670 avenger carb may have a provision on the front for the PCV hose. If not you might find a spacer plate with a PCV connection.

The rear portion of the passenger valve cover is where the breather hose that connects to the side of the air filter

Sorry, I can't help you with your aftermarket valve covers.

This picture shows the location of both hoses...

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

I assume you have a 72 H code. I have a 73 H-code, but I think they were similar. Mine has stock valve covers, EGR plate, and a Ford 4100A 600 cfm carb.

I assume you do not plan to install a 4v EGR and plate.

The front portion of the driver's side valve cover is where to place the oil cap with the PCV valve. Stock Ford 2100 or 4100 carbs had a connection for the PCV hose on the back. I think your Holley 670 avenger carb may have a provision on the front for the PCV hose. If not you might find a spacer plate with a PCV connection.

The rear portion of the passenger valve cover is where the breather hose that connects to the side of the air filter

Sorry, I can't help you with your aftermarket valve covers.

This picture shows the location of both hoses...

Thanks for the reply. With that information I now need to find a ninety degree fitting or breather cap, along with the appropriate grommets that are compatible with the edelbrock valve covers for the passenger side, as well as an oil cap and correct grommets to accept a pcv valve on the drivers side.

With the aftermarket air cleaner and covers you do have another option. You do need the oil fill cap on the LH or drivers side valve cover and hooked to carb or plate. If you do not want to run hose from RH cover to air cleaner they do make breather caps with a filter in them. I put one on my 351 that was converted to 4-V and has Ford Aluminum covers. No great pics but check with your local parts house the grommets are sometimes on the Help rack of parts. The pics are of an original 73 Q code.

You do definitely need a PCV system or your engine will sludge up and also have leaky gaskets with no place for the pressures to equalize.

You will also need to connect to big hose going to the vapor canister to the air cleaner to pull the fuel fumes out.

BTW is your car an original black car? Is is 71 or 72? If a 72 or even 73 it would have a six digit DSO code if originally black since it was not an optional color.

David

The stock PCV valve is 3/4" OD. making the grommet ID the same.

The 90 degree breather is 1" with he lip and 3/4" without.

I found this on eBay. Sounds right for stock... may work for your covers too. $8.50 and free shipping.

Valve Cover  Grommets Breather/PCV

Fits Aftermarket  Chrome Valve Covers

Big Block Or Small  Block

Designed For 1 1/4  Hole Sizes

1 Inch Inside  Diameter (Breather)

3/4 Inch Inside  Diameter (PCV)

1 MCC207 Grommet  (Breather)

1 MCC210 Grommet (PCV)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Breather-and-PCV-Grommet-Set-For-Chrome-Valve-Covers-Fits-SB-and-BB-Ford/291912080921?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211856%26meid%3D61cc98afcedc4a94a1b55a41c2375ff4%26pid%3D100508%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D291912080921&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

My original Ford parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Klinton 994,

Do your inexpensive aftermarket valve covers have a baffle ?

Are you going to have to remove a push in breather to add oil ? (rubber grommets)

What air cleaner do you plan to use , and will it be hooked into the pcv system ?.

if your rocker covers do not have a baffle, and uses push in oil filler (s) and or baffles

make darn sure your push in stuff is baffled before it sees a pcv valve, otherwise you will 

suck lots of oil thru the pcv.

You also need to have a return sourse to the carb for a pcv system to work properly.

the return should also have a baffle , but not a vent before it gets returned to the carb.

Your holley avenger should have a pcv hook up at the rear of the carb. 

Boilermaster

With the aftermarket air cleaner and covers you do have another option. You do need the oil fill cap on the LH or drivers side valve cover and hooked to carb or plate. If you do not want to run hose from RH cover to air cleaner they do make breather caps with a filter in them. I put one on my 351 that was converted to 4-V and has Ford Aluminum covers. No great pics but check with your local parts house the grommets are sometimes on the Help rack of parts. The pics are of an original 73 Q code.

You do definitely need a PCV system or your engine will sludge up and also have leaky gaskets with no place for the pressures to equalize.

You will also need to connect to big hose going to the vapor canister to the air cleaner to pull the fuel fumes out.

BTW is your car an original black car? Is is 71 or 72? If a 72 or even 73 it would have a six digit DSO code if originally black since it was not an optional color.

David

Thanks. I'm reusing the stock air filter and would like to keep the plumbing looking as stock as possible. i.e. a hose from valve covers to the air filter.

I don't know the history of my car. Based on the Marti report it is an original black car. The only options were a/c and p/s.

David

Klinton 994,

Do your inexpensive aftermarket valve covers have a baffle ?

Are you going to have to remove a push in breather to add oil ? (rubber grommets)

What air cleaner do you plan to use , and will it be hooked into the pcv system ?.

if your rocker covers do not have a baffle, and uses push in oil filler (s) and or baffles

make darn sure your push in stuff is baffled before it sees a pcv valve, otherwise you will 

suck lots of oil thru the pcv.

You also need to have a return sourse to the carb for a pcv system to work properly.

the return should also have a baffle , but not a vent before it gets returned to the carb.

Your holley avenger should have a pcv hook up at the rear of the carb. 

Boilermaster

I have not received my valve covers. However the listing for the stated they do have baffles. I plan to utilize the stock air cleaner and to route the pcv and breather as close to stock as I can. With the chrome valve covers I'm hoping to use a chrome stock style oil cap that attaches to the pcv valve. I believe this style cap is removed by turning it approximately a quarter of a turn.

I'd like to get a plastic ninety degree fitting for the passenger side valve cover so I can route the hose to the air cleaner. This fitting and the correct grommets I need to find.

I have not received my valve covers. However the listing for the stated they do have baffles. I plan to utilize the stock air cleaner and to route the pcv and breather as close to stock as I can.  With the chrome valve covers I'm hoping to use a chrome stock style oil cap that attaches to the pcv valve.  I believe this style cap is removed by turning it approximately a quarter of a turn.  

I'd like to get a plastic ninety degree fitting for the passenger side valve cover so I can route the hose to the air cleaner.  This fitting and the correct grommets I need to find.
I checked and the plastic fitting on the passenger valve cover is actually a 45 degree. I have a 90 is you want it.

Hey that's a really nice looking Mach you got, love the black /argent color combo!

Anyway, this is what I did with the PVC. I just ran it directly from the manifold instead of coming from the carb to the drivers side valve cover. And I have the stock hose set up to the air cleaner. The reason I ran the PCV hose the way I did was cause I just recently changed my carb from a Street Avenger to a Quick Fuel, and the vacuum outlet on the new carb is different. So I had an unused port on the front of my intake manifold to use, and it just kinda fit better. 

So my set up is, I have a 72 Q Code, C6 3.50 Trutrac, with a Blue Thunder intake manifold, Quick Fuel 735 HR carb, aftermarket Ford Racing aluminum valve covers and stock air cleaner. The valve covers are a push in type instead of twist in, so that's why I just ran the PCV right into the grommet in the valve cover. All the vacuum connections are stock except for the PCV. Here's so pics. hope this helps.033.JPG037.JPG042.JPG

Latest posts

Back