• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted D1ZX-6316-AA (Boss 351 harmonic balancer)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello 71TexasBoss,
Fortunately, this time you need a part that someone can't just "Massage" the numbers and pass off a fake part for the big $$$. The downside (isn't there always one) is this part's limited application and availability and the insane prices the OE dampers are commanding. The last D1ZZ-6316-B I saw for sale was $1725.!
The original '71 part# D1ZZ-6316-B (ID# D1ZX-AA) is replaced by the production-installed damper for the '72 351 HO Ford part# D2ZZ6316-A (ID# D2ZX-AA). At this point, either part # will be challenging to locate and expensive if found! I bet this drives the fake parts shysters crazy since these can't be faked using a standard 351C damper.
As a reminder, any number you see on a part will always be an engineering and not a part number. Ford NEVER cast, molded, stamped, or printed the actual part number permanently on any part.

A source that a couple of my friends have used is Damper Doctor. They offer new and rebuilt dampers, so this would at least help to get your engine running if your original is missing or damaged.
If interested, it would probably be a good idea to contact them about prices with and without a rebuildable core and if the Boss damper they offer is a new aftermarket or a rebuilt OE version. It would also allow you to compare the warranty coverage differences between buying one straight out and having yours rebuilt if you have one. At least, this would be another option since the OE dampers are so difficult to locate. Their part# is FOR3518
https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=819&search=for3518
I know of your losses on previous Boss part purchases, so I will say Good luck with this project. :)

Last edited:
Hey TexasBoss,
Great to see something positive finally happen for you after what you've been through lately.

It shows that contacting the vendor is always a good idea, especially on any unique Boss parts. When I initially checked Damper Doctor, the site did indicate stock on the Boss damper. When checking again today, it still shows stock, so their computer system must not be updating their inventory in "Real Time." At least you know a rebuild service is available if you need it.

When I checked the Fordonlyparts site, it indicated out-of-stock, currently unavailable on the repo, and the OE they (did) have. That's where I saw the $1,724.99 price that broke the record of $1,500, which had been the highest I had seen for any OE Boss damper so far. At least they were able to order the repo, which should help you get your project running until you track down an OE damper.

Now we are all waiting for the UPS/Fed-Ex truck. Fingers crossed! :)

Guess I should have given a price say “$1200” but I am also open to trades for other Cleveland stuff. Ford over the counter “what have you”?
The balancer is a neat piece and I was going to use it when I build out my motor and balance my rotating assembly. I realize it may find a better home back in a B351

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back