Engine Won't Stop Starting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Coupe 351c
So I go out at 5am to go to work and fire the car and it

starts up with starter still cranking...turn key to off and still

running and cranking till engine dies (no choke).

Fire it up again no problem shut it off.

Try again and same issue: fire the car and it

starts up with starter still cranking...turn key to off and still

running and cranking till engine dies (no choke).

I think starter solenoid not disengaging.

Your Thoughts?

351c stock solenoid and starter

Paul

There have been a few threads on these solenoids. As you probably already know there is a lot of absolute junk out there being passed off as quality OEM parts. As long as you use a major name brand you should be fine. I will now use this time to shamelessly plug Motorcraft again. B6AZ-11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacing B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7663) are the Ford numbers if you go that route. I had a solenoid to close on it's own on a parked,in gear, no park brake set, 4sp car of mine. How do I remember? It drove it's self across the front lawn of the Headquarters building where I was stationed!! Use the good stuff!! :D

Paul,

Not to hijack your thread, but secluff's self-driving car reminded me of something I did back in the day. I had a 66 Bronco when I was in college...loved that truck and wish I'd never sold it....anyway, I used to run with a bikini top in the summer, so I'd always lock the steering wheel to the brake pedal with one of those lock bars....so I go into K-Mart one afternoon in a big hurry...rush back to my bronco, jump in, fire it up, throw it into reverse and back up....as I'm trying to turn the wheel as I back up, it dawns on me that I forgot to unlock the bar....so now I'm rapidly approaching the car parked behind me....and....no brakes because the bar holds the pedal up.....so what do i do, throw it into 1st and pop the clutch....it doesn't die....(maybe 3rd would have been a better choice?)...so now I'm safe from hitting the car behind me, but rapidly approaching the one in front of me.....so what do I do??? I throw it in reverse....but THIS time, I have a plan....as soon as I throw it back into 1st, I reach down and shut off the engine...My heart was pounding...but I never forgot that lock bar again...and soon after, I never used it again.

Paul,

Not to hijack your thread, but secluff's self-driving car reminded me of something I did back in the day. I had a 66 Bronco when I was in college...loved that truck and wish I'd never sold it....anyway, I used to run with a bikini top in the summer, so I'd always lock the steering wheel to the brake pedal with one of those lock bars....so I go into K-Mart one afternoon in a big hurry...rush back to my bronco, jump in, fire it up, throw it into reverse and back up....as I'm trying to turn the wheel as I back up, it dawns on me that I forgot to unlock the bar....so now I'm rapidly approaching the car parked behind me....and....no brakes because the bar holds the pedal up.....so what do i do, throw it into 1st and pop the clutch....it doesn't die....(maybe 3rd would have been a better choice?)...so now I'm safe from hitting the car behind me, but rapidly approaching the one in front of me.....so what do I do??? I throw it in reverse....but THIS time, I have a plan....as soon as I throw it back into 1st, I reach down and shut off the engine...My heart was pounding...but I never forgot that lock bar again...and soon after, I never used it again.
That's a great story and very funny!:goodpost::thankyouyellow:

There have been a few threads on these solenoids. As you probably already know there is a lot of absolute junk out there being passed off as quality OEM parts. As long as you use a major name brand you should be fine. I will now use this time to shamelessly plug Motorcraft again. B6AZ-11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacing B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7663) are the Ford numbers if you go that route. I had a solenoid to close on it's own on a parked,in gear, no park brake set, 4sp car of mine. How do I remember? It drove it's self across the front lawn of the Headquarters building where I was stationed!! Use the good stuff!! :D
I have a Ford silonoid and had mine stick a few times after starting.

To combine Elizabeth73's "Another Dead Starter" thread with this one, both relating to starter issues.

I also had all those problems. At one point we removed a starter and several springs and bearings

fell out of it. These were good quality starters but I guess not good enough to handle a Cleveland.

Sooo... we installed one of these. No problems since. Pricey but it beats going through three or

four starters a year.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9504

mike

lollerz

Paul,

That's a great story and very funny!:goodpost::thankyouyellow:

Back