Exhaust and pipe dreams: Boom Tubes with subframe connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
My mind rarely sleeps. It's always looking for "something different". That can be problematic sometimes :D

On our cars, has anyone considered or accomplished subframe connection INSIDE of the cabin? Initial thoughts are for NASCAR style boom tube exhaust clearance. Electric cutouts would be used to retain a proper rear exit, quiet and hidden w/ turndown tips, muffled system.

Since I will be needing to replace my LR footwell due to rust, I may consider clearancing the floor (also known as "choppin' 'er up with a zinger wheel") to install tubing tying front and rear together so it wouldn't hang down any lower than the OE "frame" sections.

I wouldn't be opposed to sectioning/relieving/boxing said connector so the boom tube(s) could function.

Can yinz see where I'm headed here?

C'mon, follow me down the Yellow Brick Road, open a beer and chime on in... ::beer::

Last edited by a moderator:
BINGO!

Yep, that was a short trip. Exactly what I had in mind, thank you. Those pics are perfect.

Wonder why they don't advertise '71-73 fitment? I don't know the difference between the '65-70 and '71-73 floors... wheelbase maybe? Can't be that much different in making the SFC's work.

Car will be getting converted to factory AC. I have some heat shielding ideas in mind, and even if I don't boom tube it, it should be comfy enough and insulated within reason. I hope.

On my Dad's '57 Fairlane that was converted to 351W, I had welded 1/4" nuts to the exhaust downtubes and midpipes to accommodate some thin, rolled aluminum plates attached with allen bolts as a reflector. The aluminum wrapped about 1/3 of the outside diameter between the floor and pipes and couldn't be easily seen. Unfortunately we sold the car before completion so I never did get to test it out.

The front framerail/floorpan reinforcements on the '71-73s are wider apart than on the '65-70s (Ford's brilliant method of shoving the 429 in the Mustang was simply a case of spacing the framerails a bit farther apart than on the previous models), which will require you to angle the reinforcements to meet the narrower rear framerails.

Obsidian71's custom coupe progress thread had some great rotisserie shots which show this difference, and the manner in which he fabricated his custom connectors.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back