Hello everyone!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome from Arkansas. Was the original vin totaled?
From what i understand, it was not totalled.... it was just in better condition to restore than the actual mach shell
Am I missing something here? Why can't you just put the right VIN back on the good car? It's never going to be a real mach1 anyway and who cares as long as you like it?
+ 1

Hi everyone! Thought I'd join to say hello and pick a few experienced brains out there in the world of 71 mustangs!!

Have found a seller of a 1971 Mach 1. It is a clean car, complete/straight/rust-free exterior, all new interior parts (not currently installed), and runs/sounds pretty good. Title, registration, dash VIN plate decodes to a true mach 1. He was honest and upfront that the motor/tranny do not match to the VIN but did come out of a 71 mustang...he was also upfront to a point he said during his restoration he transplanted his vin onto a 71 fastback shell. The original mach 1 shell itself has been scrapped, but he would give both titles/vin plates in the sale so that I could do what I want with them.

It is by no means a 100pt show car, but it is a head-turner and If I am looking to fix up a little bit and have fun with it...what do you think? does it matter much with the title/vin history? Can anythiing come back on me as the buyer? If so, is the seller off the hook at time of sale?? Don't want a good deal to slip through, but don't want any headache/baggage to come with it

thanks for any advice!

Go Brewers
Got a 72 myself of which went through the mistakes of finding out the hard way that almost all outer body parts from one body style even same year are just different enough that it just won't fit. Mine is a convertible that upgraded w/power disc brakes, suspension, compression, rear axle ration, engine, and even downgrade of gas mileage to qualify as a 71::welcome::::welcome:: R-code(from the original Q-code)
body parts from a 72 will fit a 71 with no problems

73 had some different parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Thought I'd join to say hello and pick a few experienced brains out there in the world of 71 mustangs!!

Have found a seller of a 1971 Mach 1. It is a clean car, complete/straight/rust-free exterior, all new interior parts (not currently installed), and runs/sounds pretty good. Title, registration, dash VIN plate decodes to a true mach 1. He was honest and upfront that the motor/tranny do not match to the VIN but did come out of a 71 mustang...he was also upfront to a point he said during his restoration he transplanted his vin onto a 71 fastback shell. The original mach 1 shell itself has been scrapped, but he would give both titles/vin plates in the sale so that I could do what I want with them.

It is by no means a 100pt show car, but it is a head-turner and If I am looking to fix up a little bit and have fun with it...what do you think? does it matter much with the title/vin history? Can anythiing come back on me as the buyer? If so, is the seller off the hook at time of sale?? Don't want a good deal to slip through, but don't want any headache/baggage to come with it

thanks for any advice!

Go Brewers
Got a 72 myself of which went through the mistakes of finding out the hard way that almost all outer body parts from one body style even same year are just different enough that it just won't fit. Mine is a convertible that upgraded w/power disc brakes, suspension, compression, rear axle ration, engine, and even downgrade of gas mileage to qualify as a 71::welcome::::welcome:: R-code(from the original Q-code)
cpy cat,

Sounds like you have a sweet car to start with! 72 Q code ragtop!

So you modded it to be a cloned R code convertible? Was in an auto trans car to begin with? Do you have the Marti?

Sounds like a fun car.

Feel like I kinda hijacked the thread - if you can, please post some more info and pics in a new thread. THX!

Ray

Welcome from Arkansas. Was the original vin totaled?
From what i understand, it was not totalled.... it was just in better condition to restore than the actual mach shell
Am I missing something here? Why can't you just put the right VIN back on the good car? It's never going to be a real mach1 anyway and who cares as long as you like it?
You sir are 100% correct. Title the car with the VIN it came with and there is no problem. Ask the DMV about proper way to transfer

the dash tag to the donor dash (they may want to see the shock tower vin)and problem is solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Chesapeake VA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back