Hi everyone, New member from Sydney

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome from coastal Alabama. Be sure to drop a pin on our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

Hi from Sydney. Just found this forum and it looks great so far. I run a drum and percussion repairs business and am a working drummer as well. I have a '66 AMC Rambler Classic as a weekend cruiser but my 71 sportsroof is about to get a whole lot of attention. I've had my Mustang since 1986 and it's been sitting in storage for most of the years since then - that's what happens when your work takes you away from your hobby. Well, it's time to get this old girl on the ROAD!!

I have completed the bodywork phase and it's almost ready to start priming for paint. Luckily she was pretty rust free being a California car but with only 80,000miles on the clock. Just needed the usual taillight panel replacement as well as full L/H quarter panel due to some accident damage prior to being imported to AUS. I bought enough spare parts to convert the stock sportsroof into a Mach1 lookalike. I'm not too worried about showing the car or keeping it original factory specs, I just like the look of this model with some Mach1 added styling. These cars are pretty rare down here so I want to build it into my own take on the 71 fastback - not to win trophies, just to drive it and enjoy it's rare shape on our roads.

The 351C is out and pulled down. Can't believe how much crud was in the valve covers and around the rockers. Heads are cleaned and in the machine shop getting new valve seats and stem seals.

The block and bottom end has very little wear so it looks like a hone and new rings, bearings, maybe a mild cam and new lifters etc. No racing engine mods required so the 2V set-up will work fine.

The C6 came out as well and what a monster it is! For years I assumed it had an FMX auto from factory (most Aussie 351C had FMX boxes behind them, and these seem much smaller and lighter) but then I found out that C6 was the norm in these Mustangs. Not sure if I want to fit that huge trans back in, thinking of going to the Tremec 5 speed and making this a manual/stick shift car. Suggestions are welcome at this point!!

Anyway, the sandblasting cabinet has been busy with all the engine brackets, bonnet hinges, anything that needs to be satin black again!! The spray gun will get busy soon too, seeing it's summer here and the drying time for satin acrylic black is about 5 minutes! Some Ford blue on rocker covers and other engine parts will be next. Suspension and brakes too are getting the strip down and rebuild.

I've built a workshop just for the mustang so most of this work is tackled at home. Probably hire a spray booth at the local auto body shop when it's time to get the body colour in the gun. Over the years I have changed my mind several times about which colour to paint her. Being white originally didn't really inspire me, so sorry to those who own white mustangs, plus I didn't want the boy racer RED either. I have settled on silver with the blacked out bonnet and black sidestripes. Classy and catches light and shadows nicely. Black interior. I haven't seen 71-73 in this colour scheme around the roads/shows etc here in Sydney.

I look forward to chatting with you guys who I'm sure will teach me a whole lot of great stuff along the way. Thanks, Dave
Welcome from Latrobe, PA USA! This is where the websites base station is. Home of Arnold Palmer, PGA, Fred Rogers was born and raise and lived to his final days here, re: TV show, "its a wonderful neighborhood or Fred Rogers Neighborhood-like a modified version of Captain Kangaroo, where the 1st banana split came from, first profession football team in US, where Steelers NFL team has there summer camp (at St Vincent College), only place that instituted alternate way of billing parkers at their parking meters re: by app. On my site, over 200+ photos on photo album, also located on the ez gallery as well will find my COTM submission for February interest, re: if so, pls vote formine. FYI Calendar that comes out for 2015 will be sold by lulu.com like 2014 calendar located.

Greetings from Northeast Florida :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back