Hoping to Reenter World of Mustang Ownership after 30 Years

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This car seems like a good entry level purchase.  It is affordable because it is not particularly collectible.  If it were rare or had a much larger engine, I could not afford it.
It is a nice looking car! Certain items are not original...but they are only small things that are easy to change. If the price is good then I would consider buying it. As you mentioned, the previous owner had it for 40 years, so it means that he/she was happy with it and probably looked after it well! This would be a valuable thing for me. The 6 cylinder engine doesn't have a lot of horse power, but it is a convertible, so nice weather drives with the roof down is a nice compromise for the lack of a high horsepower engine if you ask me !

Did you get a Marti report already? Does it have some nice options?

It might not be particularly collectable but it is a rare car! only 565 convertibles were built with the 6 cylinder engine in 1972! and only 1967 in total from 1971-1973...

I may have run into a glitch in the plans. I live in Kansas much of the year, but this car is in Arizona. I plan to only use it in Arizona where I have a second home. It appears that I have to license the car in Kansas, my state of residency, and cannot license it in Arizona despite owning a home there. In order to license in Kansas, I need it inspected by the DMV in Kansas, which will require that I drive it there and then back to Arizona. It is about a 850 miles to the closest inspection center and another 400 miles to my house at the east end of the state. This seems like too much additional effort and I am frankly not certain that I want my first road trip in this car to be a 1,700 or 2,500 round trip just to get it licensed. The cost of towing it there is prohibitive as well.

Has anyone found a reasonable work around involving out of state licensing and meeting inspection requirements? I talked with the Kansas DMV already and am awaiting a return email from the Arizona DMV seeking out some sort of exception which will either allow an Arizona inspector to perform the inspection for Kansas license purposes or license it in Arizona as a non-resident

Owners says he has the original side mirror. He wanted mirrors on both sides and added a non-original design. He did not know the story on the antenna, as it was that way when he bought the car.

I am two weeks from getting to drive and inspect the car.

Arizona will require emissions testing. It's easy to pass, there is no underhood inspection and the limits are pretty generous for our older cars. But if you are considering getting 'classic car' insurance you can avoid the emissions test requirement in Arizona.

I bought the car over the weekend. It is insured and licensed as a classic car, meaning that it did not have to have to be tested for emissions. There are some restrictions on driving it, but my use of the car fit within the restrictions.

The seller purchased it in 1978 and took good care of it. It has a some scratches and some wear, but it will be a fun car to own and drive around the West Valley of Phoenix.

I bought the car over the weekend.  It is insured and licensed as a classic car, meaning that it did not have to have to be tested for emissions.  There are some restrictions on driving it, but my use of the car fit within the restrictions.  

The seller purchased it in 1978 and took good care of it.  It has a some scratches and some wear, but it will be a fun car to own and drive around the West Valley of Phoenix.
Nice! looking forward to some photo's

Congrats, and welcome from SoCal! Pretty car - you should have a blast with it!

As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't be too concerned about the non-factory items unless you're planning to go full concours with it; most of us alter our cars for safety, convenience, entertainment, and personal taste reasons anyway!

Have fun!

Here are a few pictures.  When I changed the license plate I noticed the original paper notice underneath.  I am amazed that it is still there after all these years.  Also digging the 1970s era Jesus fish bumper sticker.  

Back