In search of a carb float for Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Boss 351
Hi,
Been searching the cyber world over for a carb float. I have seen some that are listed but also noted they are discontinued or out of stock. Saw a new old stock on ebay but am worried that ethanol will hit it and disintegrate. I was able to get the carb kit off RockAuto but the float is being real hard to locate. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Ethanol won't disintegrate a float. I've run plenty of OE Ford floats since the 90s with our 10% fuel and had no issues. The eBay listing is pricey, but if you need a float....

Another option would be to grab up a couple 4300A, D or 4350 cores and use them for parts. I've picked them up for $5 at swap meets.

I agree they were pretty proud of that float on Ebay. My float appears to be in good shape still. I can remember putting a kit in it and putting in a new float back in late 70s when I was in High School auto shop. My concern was in the late 80s I had a boat with an outboard that was from the mid 70s and started having problems with the carbs and the mechanic noted it was due to ethanol breaking things down and clogging up ports. It had looked like some of the ones that were out of stock had noted "ethanol ready" so it got me starting to worry. I got a habit of over thinking stuff sometimes. Glad I got you folks to keep me straight on this project. Thanks again for the help!

Hello again, I got to working on that carb and noticed that teenager that used to drive the car around all the time fourty some years ago must have thought it would be a good idea to take the secondary lockout lever off the carb. Who knows what he did with it. Anyway was wondering if you or someone might have a parts carb like you were talking about laying around that you would be willing to sell or would be willing to sell the lockout lever, pan head screw and one of the screws on the top of the carb as well since I noticed one of those was not correct and was not a phillips head. Let me know. Thanks!

Back