Need help. How to paint TuTone hood with base coat/ clear coat???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
There was a thread somewhere that talked about how to paint the TuTone hood matte black and the color being BC/CC and there being no ridge to be felt between the matte black and the clear. I've searched for over an hour and cannot find it.

How can this be painted so it's a perfectly smoothe transition from shiny clear to matte black?

Thanks!

I found the thread below. It isn't the one I was looking for but kind of mentions what I'm asking about. See the post with the yellow car and black hood. But what is the technique to NOT have a paint line that you can feel between the yellow and black. I'm sure it involves sanding the edge of the clear but I just don't know the proper technique.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ram-air-hood

Hi Don,

Since any satin or matt paint finish cannot be tampered with (sanded/ cut/ polished) without changing the appearance, this question has me pretty much stumped.

Scotty or Wendell or other forum painters may have a magic technique up their sleeve to help you .

The only technique i can think of would be to lay your basecoat color down first to the whole hood, let tack off, then mark out for the black. Spray the black basecoat on. Let tack. Mask off all black sections accurately to the edges.

Apply gloss clearcoat to the colored outer sections. Let dry. Remove masking. This time, mask up cleared colored sections, but take the tape off the black edge and into the colored zone by say 1/8 of an inch.Spray satin 2pak clearcoat to the black section.

Once dry, mask up the black section accuractly to the black edges, then proceed to carefully fine sand with a block, the little 1/8 th satin clear edge till you remove it and reveal your gloss clearcoat underneath, which then can be polished with the rest of the gloss clearcoat area.

The trick would be not to get a heavy satin clear paint buildup over the gloss clearcoat.That idea might work - havn't done it myself - and would mean a lot of playing around to get the result.

If there is a special technique here,educate me boys!!

BTW -Having an edge from satin to gloss has honestly never bothered me Don, but i can see your point.

Greg.:)

There was a thread somewhere that talked about how to paint the TuTone hood matte black and the color being BC/CC and there being no ridge to be felt between the matte black and the clear. I've searched for over an hour and cannot find it.

How can this be painted so it's a perfectly smoothe transition from shiny clear to matte black?

Thanks!
I don't see how that would be possible

Back