New Engine for Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Thanks Don :D

A couple of months ago my 351C 4V '71 Grande with toploader developed a crack in the water jacket between cylinders 3 and 4. The crack was not in a good location to sleeve. My first thought was to scrap the car but we have spent too much time and money fixing it up already. Second thought was to drop in a 427. This M-code Grande came with the competition suspension package disk brakes and variable power steering so it could handle that engine; but, it would not be "original". Next thought was to get a short block or bare block and rebuild, that is a lot of work. Don from OMS read about my problem on this forum and told me he may have a fix. I have been doing business with Don for a few years buying new and "used" parts for this Grande's restoration so I knew he had parts, But I did not know he had PARTS. Below is a picture of where this engine was "hiding", somewhere under the rack of doors and behind the C6 tranny still sitting on a pallet and wrapped in plastic from the machine shop.

001 (9).jpg

Don sent several pictures and told me what he knew about this engine, actually a long block 351C 4V with matching casting numbers period correct for my car and did I mention a cam :p

005 (7).jpg

We haggled about the price for maybe five seconds and then it was onto arranging shipping. This was a 650 lb engine on a 44x44x30 pallet being shipped 2500 miles with liftgate at both ends and residential delivery on my end. Don gave me his shipping info and also suggested I contact freightquote.com which is who I used. The truck driver had to put the engine on a pallet jack and pull it the last couple hundred yards because his truck could not clear the utility lines on my end. We paid for 'point to point' shipping and got it. Minus the cost of insurance, which is optional, I paid $320.

Here is how the engine arrived packaged by Don.

HPIM2906 - Copy.JPG

mike

OUTSTANDING!

I love to read about "good things" that have happened to our Members. This one is especially NICE since one of our Vendors was part of the equation.

Don has been EXTREMELY helpful to a number of Members of this Site since its inception...GREAT news!!!

BT

OUTSTANDING!

I love to read about "good things" that have happened to our Members. This one is especially NICE since one of our Vendors was part of the equation.

Don has been EXTREMELY helpful to a number of Members of this Site since its inception...GREAT news!!!

BT
Don sent several pictures of the engine because he wanted me to know what I was buying. He was concerned about the "rust" on the engine which I was able to remove with a damp cotton ball.

007 (6).jpg

He offered to pull the heads to make sure it was a closed chamber and everything was in good shape. He even offered to sell me a short block if that is all I needed as he knew I still have the heads from the broken engine. Don asked me if it mattered what intake he shipped for protection because I was going to use my old intake/carb anyway. Just so happens the intake Don shipped was the EXACT one a neighbor was looking to use on his Mustang. So Don helped another Mustang owner and did not even know it. Or did he :dodgy:

mike

mike

Back