New wheels sprints or legacy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got Torq-Trust II's On my 72, 18's front and rear..
Okay...after much reading and review I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting the wheels made (yes...made, they do not stock these) so I have to make sure I'm dead correct on it. I love this look.

My biggest debate was whether to back off a little to a 17" as proportionally it might be a little (and I mean marginally, if at all) better but I couldn't find any pictures of the Torque Thrust IIs in this size.

My question to the forum is: can you please confirm that these specs will fit without modifying my car? As best I know everything is stock on my '72 Vert.

Front - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-405886545/overview/

Rear - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-4058956557/overview/

Many thanks for everyone's support!

John

Those should fit with no issues.
Thanks Mike! I take it that means no spacers as well? These guys have about a six week wait so I am itching to get the order in place so I can have them about the time my car is finished (like it's ever finished...but at least reassembled). I love Pegasus' car/wheels and like I think he mentioned somewhere the wheels just really match the paint job. I'm going with a little bit darker richer blue that I know will have the same effect.

John

Ok...now that I am settled on the wheels I need to make sure the tire choice will work. I've read all the threads on it and believe that the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP II's are my best choice.

Rear 275/40zr/18

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/filterTireProducts.do?brd=BFGoodrich&fl=&c=14&rcz=78101&ar=40&fqs=true&rf=true&rd=18&rc=TXSINT&cs=275&sortBy=prca&toggled=

Front 245/45zr/18

http://www.discounttire.com/storeReviews/ReadReviews?rbqs.rd=18&rbqs.rc=TXSINT&rbqs.cs=245&rbqs.pc=37055&rbqs.ra=filterTireProducts.do&rbqs.c=3&drb.productCode=37055&rbqs.fl=&drb.region=TXSINT&rbqs.rf=true&rbqs.ar=45

These seem like they will give me the right look. I wanted to go even wider but don't want to get into tubbing or rubbing...

Make sense?

Cheers,

John

In reading back through everything I noticed that the front tires on Pegasus' car are 40s not 45s which means that the front tires are basically 1" shorter than the back tires. The tires I have specified are both the same height. Not sure if that is good or bad? Anyone got any thoughts? Here is his car to refresh your memory...

SDC11426.JPG

should be fine looks wise you just wont have the little bit of rubber rake Pegasus has. I guess clearance is still going to be fine. Luxstang or Pegasus will know on that issue

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 245/45/18 up front on 9 inch wide rims and 285/40/18 on the rear 10 inch rims.

With the standard one inch shorter springs I had 255/45/18 up front with no issues but after I cut one turn off the coils they rubbed on the fender. By the way, my fenders are not rolled but still have the stock edge on the inside of the wheel opening.

G'day, the tyres on my car are Nitto NT555, with 275x40x18 on the back and 245x40x18 on the front, that photo was taken on a steepish drive way, the auto correct photo feature kind of rotated the pic, and gives the racked looked, the car has 1' lowered front springs which proberly exaggerates the angle.

When I ordered my rims from Summit they said 6 weeks but it only took 4.

G'day, the tyres on my car are Nitto NT555, with 275x40x18 on the back and 245x40x18 on the front, that photo was taken on a steepish drive way, the auto correct photo feature kind of rotated the pic, and gives the racked looked, the car has 1' lowered front springs which proberly exaggerates the angle.

The wheels are perfect...I'm ordering them today. I loved them from the first time I saw them on your car.

I also like the Nitto NT555's, but think I'm going to go with Mikes recommendation - 285/40/18's on the back and 245/45/18's on the front. I really would like to even go wider on the back but I scared it might rub and I may not be skilled enough to fix it! Can you tell me how much clearance you have on the back tire? I'm using the same wheels specifications so it should let me know if there's any clearance issues. I see that the 285 is . 3" taller and .4" wider.

Hi Pegasus

Did you cop much from that cyclone? I lived I Hedland for a fair while and grew up in far north QLD so seen a few cyclones. For our international friends the Pilbara coat of Australia is the most cyclone prone coastline on the planet. The 1 up there now has a front of 350km. This same coast is also the most Tsunami prone coastline on earth too but this is rarely a problem because of the shallow water from the continental shelf.

I have the same basic set-up as Mike (lux). I have the 245/40/18 and 285/40/18 there are just minor rubbing issues on the front when turning tight corners. On the rear a 295 will fit with the proper offset. I think a 315 is doable with some creativity.

I have the same basic set-up as Mike (lux). I have the 245/40/18 and 285/40/18 there are just minor rubbing issues on the front when turning tight corners. On the rear a 295 will fit with the proper offset. I think a 315 is doable with some creativity.
Thanks! I ordered the Torq-Thrust II Polished Wheels 18 x 9.5 (5.75 backspace, +12mm offset) and 18 x 8 (4.5 backspace, 0 offset). I'm pretty much set on the Nitto tires 285/40/18 and 245/45/18. If Nitto made a 295 I might be tempted to try it but I don't want any problems. Guess I have about a month to think about it, assuming my car is painted by then and the wheels are here... big assumptions. I think with everyone's help here this set up is going to be awesome! Thanks all!

Hi Pegasus

Did you cop much from that cyclone? I lived I Hedland for a fair while and grew up in far north QLD so seen a few cyclones. For our international friends the Pilbara coat of Australia is the most cyclone prone coastline on the planet. The 1 up there now has a front of 350km. This same coast is also the most Tsunami prone coastline on earth too but this is rarely a problem because of the shallow water from the continental shelf.
Hey Mate, wasn't to bad here rained for 24-30hr's and got a bit windy. nothing over the top.

The wheels are perfect...I'm ordering them today. I loved them from the first time I saw them on your car.

I also like the Nitto NT555's, but think I'm going to go with Mikes recommendation - 285/40/18's on the back and 245/45/18's on the front. I really would like to even go wider on the back but I scared it might rub and I may not be skilled enough to fix it! Can you tell me how much clearance you have on the back tire? I'm using the same wheels specifications so it should let me know if there's any clearance issues. I see that the 285 is . 3" taller and .4" wider.
G'day sorry for the late reply , weather and the internet have been a tad patch of late here.

Form the side wall of my tyre's to the outside of the guard its about 20mm, so the inner lip clears the tyres by about 8mm. On the inside I would say there is well over an 1'' clearance all round probably closer to 2''. Here are some pic I took for you.

I hummed N arrr'd over rim sizes for ages, and in the end took my best educated guess and got the rim's and hoped like fook they would fit. Turned out pretty good. just need a sway bar with turned it ends as a straight 90' end style will just scrap the rim under load/driving , there is only a couple of mm in it.

wheels. 72 001.JPG

wheels. 72 002.JPG

wheels. 72 004.JPG

wheels. 72 005.JPG

G'day sorry for the late reply , weather and the internet have been a tad patch of late here.

Form the side wall of my tyre's to the outside of the guard its about 20mm, so the inner lip clears the tyres by about 8mm. On the inside I would say there is well over an 1'' clearance all round probably closer to 2''. Here are some pic I took for you.

I hummed N arrr'd over rim sizes for ages, and in the end took my best educated guess and got the rim's and hoped like fook they would fit. Turned out pretty good. just need a sway bar with turned it ends as a straight 90' end style will just scrap the rim under load/driving , there is only a couple of mm in it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for all the info. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I think I've studied it enough. My biggest fear is that something doesn't fit as the car will be already painted by the time the wheels arrive...high risk, high reward, I guess. Worst case I will have to scramble to make them work. I really appreciate all the input.

Cheers,

John

Back