Newbie needing help identifying a '73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Fastback... hopefully
Hi Everybody:

I am new here. Victor, from Mexico. I have been around old cars for 30 years and have several of them, but no Mustangs, so far, but I am trying to fix that...

Today I went to look at a 1973 Mach 1. By the way, it was the only year that we got the Mach 1 down here, and all of them had the 351 Windsor engine with a four barrel carb and a four speed box with Hurst shift and an aluminum grip handle, power steering and disc brakes. That was sort of the regular package, as far as I understand it, and there were no options, or not important ones, at least. I am not sure but I have been told that even no A/C.

My father, by the way, had a 1972 hardtop, and that one did had A/C so I find it strange that the Mach 1 could not have it... but again, that is what I was told.

Anyhow, as to the car I saw today, it appears to have a 351 Windsor (though I could not swear it, of course), but there are a few things that I find a bit puzzling, up to the point that I am thinking it my be an American car which is here with the Mexican car's documents (since it is difficult and very expensive to import a car). It has A/C (at least the controls for it though the compressor is a newer one), tinted windows (both things not common), the four speed but with a regular ball shifter as in the US, the american car design on upholstery (mexican cars had a different design), Magnum 500 wheels (never offered here but easily fitted afterwards) and most puzzling of all, it is missing the VIN plate, and the door plastic tag, and even the "Register" plate which all mexican cars back then needed to have and which is glued or riveted to the car. Also, Mexican cars had an aluminum plate on the driver's door, which this car is missing, which would tell the regular characteristics of the car... VIN, color, upholstery etc. So, no way that I can see in which I can match the car to the papers.

All of those tags could have been removed and lost during a paint or restoration job... that is what I am hoping.

If I buy and it is really a wrong car, so to say, or that it is irregularly in the country, it would be an expensive mistake.... so I am trying to find out how to check the car.

In short, how can I check which is the VIN of the car I looked at today if it is missing the VIN plate that you can regularly see through the windshield on the driver's side?

Perhaps rather long for a introduction, but I urgently need to find out as it is a bargain and I may loose the chance of getting if it I delay too much. I will post also on another perhaps more proper area in the forum and add pics.

Looking forward to getting the car and participating in the Mustang community!

Thanks!

Victor

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

What did it for me is when you said it's missing VIN tags and other plates that it needs to have. Im pretty sure that is bound to cause major issues when you try and register it. I don't know about Mexican laws but that's a car I'd skip for sure.

Others will be more knowledgeable on the subject of identification than I am.

Ola hombre, quetal?

A simple way to check if it's a Windsor or a Cleveland is the thermostat housing, they are different, also the valve covers, the Windsor got 5 bolts, the Cleveland 8.

I almost bought a Mexican one here in France a couple of years, unfortunatly someone was quicker than me.

Good luck in your research,

Manuel

Hey Victor, welcome from Philadelphia. I'd love to see another fellow Mustang enthusiast find his dream car/project. This description however, has many tell tail signs of a potential buy gone bad. Let this one go. Sorry if it's disappointing but the alternative could very well be way worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I agree it does not sound like the ideal way to start, but it is a mostly good car which could turn out great with some time and money... but I first have to proove that is identity is correct. In another post, I have already been to check for numbers under the front fenders and on gearbox.... I will get to that!

Thanks!

victor

Hi Victor,

::welcome:: from Germany!

As others have mentioned here and in your other post I would be very careful to buy that car. The question is not where the numbers and their pieces of evidence are but why they are completely lost?!? That is suspect... In a restauration you don't have to remove all the important tags. On my dash I taped it easily before painting it new, also the tag on the door, the metal tag on the right fender apron and so on. Why will somebody remove them and lost them all? That smells like this car has to be not here anymore. Think of theft, perhaps insurance betrayal or spending the whole tags and pieces of evidence to legalize another car. You know what I mean? I don't know if you could legalize such a car anymore without all that important numbers and papers in Mexico. And what if the formerly legitimate owner finds the car after you restored it and want it back?

It all could also be totally harmless but there is something speaking in me... to not do it!

The car looks perhaps good from the outside but what is underneath? What's such a special car worth without all the special mexican stuff?!?

I don't want to speak your car to death or make it bad! I only want you to be careful, ok ::thumb::

Take care, Victor!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Be sure and go the Member Map under one of the links at top of page and place your pin!

Pulling the fender will help a lot. The top of the transmission (if original) would be stamped to match the actual VIN. The block (if original) would have a partial VIN - usually just the last 6 of the VIN.

Then you'd need to have the VIN searched to see if the car was EVER stolen. I think I agree with the others - I'd pass on this one. Sounds like especially in Mexico - this could be a HUGE pain in getting it properly registered.

Best of luck,

Ray

Hi Everybody:

I am new here. Victor, from Mexico. I have been around old cars for 30 years and have several of them, but no Mustangs, so far, but I am trying to fix that...

Today I went to look at a 1973 Mach 1. By the way, it was the only year that we got the Mach 1 down here, and all of them had the 351 Windsor engine with a four barrel carb and a four speed box with Hurst shift and an aluminum grip handle, power steering and disc brakes. That was sort of the regular package, as far as I understand it, and there were no options, or not important ones, at least. I am not sure but I have been told that even no A/C.

My father, by the way, had a 1972 hardtop, and that one did had A/C so I find it strange that the Mach 1 could not have it... but again, that is what I was told.

Anyhow, as to the car I saw today, it appears to have a 351 Windsor (though I could not swear it, of course), but there are a few things that I find a bit puzzling, up to the point that I am thinking it my be an American car which is here with the Mexican car's documents (since it is difficult and very expensive to import a car). It has A/C (at least the controls for it though the compressor is a newer one), tinted windows (both things not common), the four speed but with a regular ball shifter as in the US, the american car design on upholstery (mexican cars had a different design), Magnum 500 wheels (never offered here but easily fitted afterwards) and most puzzling of all, it is missing the VIN plate, and the door plastic tag, and even the "Register" plate which all mexican cars back then needed to have and which is glued or riveted to the car. Also, Mexican cars had an aluminum plate on the driver's door, which this car is missing, which would tell the regular characteristics of the car... VIN, color, upholstery etc. So, no way that I can see in which I can match the car to the papers.

All of those tags could have been removed and lost during a paint or restoration job... that is what I am hoping.

If I buy and it is really a wrong car, so to say, or that it is irregularly in the country, it would be an expensive mistake.... so I am trying to find out how to check the car.

In short, how can I check which is the VIN of the car I looked at today if it is missing the VIN plate that you can regularly see through the windshield on the driver's side?

Perhaps rather long for a introduction, but I urgently need to find out as it is a bargain and I may loose the chance of getting if it I delay too much. I will post also on another perhaps more proper area in the forum and add pics.

Looking forward to getting the car and participating in the Mustang community!

Thanks!

Victor
@ your quandaries @your 72 Mustang Mach 1, back then you could get whatever you wanted on your mustang and back then seemed more sold without AC because people did not see spending that little extra was worth it....some looked at better gas mileage and performance w/out.....the thing about a registration, in 72 it was a sticker and rarely upon past owners repainting it would forget about that sticker on thedriver inner door jamb and inadvertently gotten sanded off and as for the sales papers.....also forgotten-misplaced from one owner to the next and such a vehicle really popular to modify the way you wanted it......but you have to have a tin strip riveted to the dash with the VIN number pressed out. Do not know if you can take a number off the engine, tranny, body, chassis to crossreferernce. Windsor motor being one of the options has its belt encased with the motor as opposed to the Cleveland,(think or vice a versa). The Cleveland having canted valves, got to get into the engine to find out. Lots of mustangs were exported to Mexico. Cannot recall what they called them, ie, like since Germany had a mustang w/in some other manufacturer so they had to change(and likely more rigid with pollution devices as it required to be able to ship out and go through their customs, was called the 'T-5'. If the 72;s like mine had just a sticker, bet the same sticker for the 73 model. (bet you never saw one between 71-3 convertible w/roll bar)

Victor buena noche:

Bienvenido al foro.

Una nota de menor importancia: el 351W tiene el pequeño, en forma de by-pass de la manguera justo a la izquierda de la caja del termostato codo. El C-351 es que falta la manguera de derivación por completo.

Los mejores deseos en su búsqueda de la pony decente para sus pesos.

Saludos, Timoteo, Estado de Florida

Back