oil deflector

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
I removed my valve covers today and noticed that 2 of the oil deflectors on the drivers side are turned the wrong way. All the ones on passenger side are installed correct. Would this have been done for a reason, or are they on the wrong way?

I also noticed that there is a valve retainer that looks off center, the second one from the left, is it ok? Thank's for any replies!

View attachment 33035

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the tab should be over the little hole that sits above the pushrod. These tabs direct oil, that might otherwise be flung away, to the fulcrums to keep them lubed.

I can't tell enough from the picture to comment on the off center retainer (or spring, as it would more likely be).

Yes, the tab should be over the little hole that sits above the pushrod. These tabs direct oil, that might otherwise be flung away, to the fulcrums to keep them lubed.

I can't tell enough from the picture to comment on the off center retainer (or spring, as it would more likely be).
Thanks basstrix, I didn't think they were on right.

Ok, I need to turn these deflectors around, but I have never removed or replaced a rocker arm on a 351c. I know there needs to be no pressure on the spring. Need to have cam in correct spot, no problem there. But when I tighten rocker back down, how tight? I looked at my shop manual, but can't find that. This should be simple, but I am getting frustrated. Thanks.

Back