Quarter Window Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
So I have a Mach 1, but ordered the quad power window kit where it comes with switches and regulators. Just coming to light I need the internal guts like a guide track and something else. Any one know where theseinternsl arts can move purchased or does anyone have some? Thanks.

I did the same for mine - snagged a quarter window conversion 'kit' from a '72 Coupe parts car, then just left the cranks off, used an aftermarket universal electric window kit, and didn't punch the holes through the quarter trim panels. I'd thought about making the manual cranks work with the power window kit (since it continues to use the manual mechanisms) so the crank handles spin while the power window motors roll the windows up/down, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

I did the same for mine - snagged a quarter window conversion 'kit' from a '72 Coupe parts car, then just left the cranks off, used an aftermarket universal electric window kit, and didn't punch the holes through the quarter trim panels. I'd thought about making the manual cranks work with the power window kit (since it continues to use the manual mechanisms) so the crank handles spin while the power window motors roll the windows up/down, but haven't gotten around to that yet.
I am leaving the tears with no cranks and got the 4 switch setup that I will mount hidden in the ashtray as well as the door window crank switches that you move the handle up or down and it also controls that window. I heard the biggest complaint are people who have a standard window crank and someone goes to crank it not knowing and it can break the motor. So I opted for a custom interior crank that is actually an exterior black turn handle, thinking with no knob it won’t invite someone to grab and crank. It’ll match the interior, look sleek and pause to think and use it like the level it is. This is all in my head of course but getting closer to reality

That's a very good point, although the kit I have (SPAL and Autoloc universal power window kits combined) basically slips over the manual crank mechanism - in the event of a motor failure, they even provide a T-handle to engage the manual crank to raise/lower the window manually. So essentially, the hand cranks would still work without worry of breaking anything off. There are some little black caps that cover the holes in the door panels, but they're pretty noticeable, actually.

Those white spots on my doors are the nylon gear adapters for the motors slipped over the manual crank shaft (I hadn't put the black caps on yet). Those 'bumps' on the front face of the center console's armrest are the switches.
Frankcarshow4.jpg

I also just have a 4-pack pod of switches on my center console (so I didn't have to run a second set of switches over to the driver side door, or something like that). My ebay center console was damaged on the area of the armrest box above the ashtray, so I just trimmed things up and located the switches there.

I eventually engineered a way for the Spal motor to work with the stock handle. It required engineering an adapter between the handle mechanism and the Spal kit adapter. So now when I power the window up or down the handle rotates as well. The problem is, as stated, that people tend to automatically want to use the handle which places a lot of stress on the gear that moves the motor and my adapter is starting to break. That said, I may have to remove the handle and use the cover that come with the kit. So far I only did it in the passenger window.
The difference @Mister 4x4 between the stock handles and the T handle provided with the kit, is that when you use the stock handle you are placing the load on one side which induces bending on the mechanism and renders it very difficult to turn. In comparison, with the T handle you are turning by equalizing the forces on each side of the handle reducing the amount of bending. I hope this makes sense. That bending load deflects the Spal gear behind the handle which makes it very hard to turn the motor. I know you and I discussed this idea way back then, but now after a few years that's what I have learnt.

Here’s a couple of pics of what you need

Attachments

• D672F6BE-D0FF-4CE1-826B-136033DE79E6.jpeg
    D672F6BE-D0FF-4CE1-826B-136033DE79E6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • F2C7EB1F-4F48-4BBB-B1D9-91938959853B.jpeg
    F2C7EB1F-4F48-4BBB-B1D9-91938959853B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • CB2DD521-3A59-469B-A4AB-4F37ACBEDCCA.jpeg
    CB2DD521-3A59-469B-A4AB-4F37ACBEDCCA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Still got the quarter window crank handles? I need one . . .

Wow... I'm not entirely sure. If I do, they're in a box buried in the garage - I think I might remember which one, however. I need to do 'something' in the garage this weekend anyway, so I'll do a quick check.

Wow... I'm not entirely sure. If I do, they're in a box buried in the garage - I think I might remember which one, however. I need to do 'something' in the garage this weekend anyway, so I'll do a quick check.
That'd be great, thanks! I'm looking for one of the stubby ones from the rear quarter of a convertible.

Back