Question on Ram Air ducting.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
Does any one know if there was a ducting that went into the mouth of the air cleaner box if you had ram air? I have looked at a lot of picks and can't figure it out.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

All 'ducting' is limited to the hood itself, and consists of: a "Ram Air" hood with openings for molded inlets, plastic ducts with vacuum-actuated 'flappers,' a fiberglass plenum, and the specialized air cleaner (your second picture) that seals to the underside of the plenum when the hood closes.

The "Ram Air" hoods were also sold with honeycomb trimmed block-off plates - Ram Air style without any of the Ram Air benefits. Still looks cool, though.

Pictures will help, and I'm sure others will jump on and post 'em.

There's been a big debate on exactly what the openings in the hood are called. The openings are "NACA" ducts (named after the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics - which later became NASA - who designed them). After NACA became NASA, Ford followed suit and began calling them "NASA Hoods," which the debate of correctness comes into play. Ford is correct because that's what they called their hoods - probably because of the significance of the Space Race at the time, lending a nod to NASA. But Ford is also wrong, because the ducts as designed are STILL called NACA ducts, despite the fact that NACA became NASA. Hence, the debate.

Personally, I'm one of the 'NACA' guys... but either way is technically correct, and everybody here will know what you're talking about. ;)

All 'ducting' is limited to the hood itself, and consists of: a "Ram Air" hood with openings for molded inlets, plastic ducts with vacuum-actuated 'flappers,' a fiberglass plenum, and the specialized air cleaner (your second picture) that seals to the underside of the plenum when the hood closes.

The "Ram Air" hoods were also sold with honeycomb trimmed block-off plates - Ram Air style without any of the Ram Air benefits. Still looks cool, though.

There's been a big debate on exactly what the openings in the hood are called. The openings are "NACA" ducts (named after the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics - which later became NASA - who designed them). After NACA became NASA, Ford followed suit and began calling them "NASA Hoods," which the debate of correctness comes into play. Ford is correct because that's what they called their hoods - probably because of the significance of the Space Race at the time, lending a nod to NASA. But Ford is also wrong, because the ducts as designed are STILL called NACA ducts, despite the fact that NACA became NASA. Hence, the debate.

Personally, I'm one of the 'NACA' guys... but either way is technically correct, and everybody here will know what you're talking about. ;)
While all the above is completely correct, I don't think it quite answers the OP's actual question.

What I think he's asking about is the cold air intake snorkel seen in the first picture that isn't present in the second picture. My H Code 73 came with the snorkel and was a Non-Ram air car. I'm now curious as well, was it one or the other Ram-Air or Cold Air, or could a car have both, or should a car have both?

OH! I see what you're saying. My bad. :-/

I don't believe there were any kind of ducts involved on the end of the air cleaner snorkels. Then again, mine was completely missing the air cleaner altogether when I got it. ;) :D

I believe there are a handful of 'original owners' on the site (Kit Sullivan, BT, for starters) who might be able to definitively answer that question.

While all the above is completely correct, I don't think it quite answers the OP's actual question.

What I think he's asking about is the cold air intake snorkel seen in the first picture that isn't present in the second picture. My H Code 73 came with the snorkel and was a Non-Ram air car. I'm now curious as well, was it one or the other Ram-Air or Cold Air, or could a car have both, or should a car have both?
Yes,

That is my questions. I have the plastic ducting that mounts by the battery and was gong to try and find the flexible ducting from the air box to the plastic ducting but I'm converting to Ram Air and don't know if the RamAir cars had it.

Only 1973 Mustangs had the ducting

71 and 72's had open end snorkles

It was the same as the non ram air cleaner with the plastic ducting under the battery and the black square flexible tubing up to the air cleaner.

30jqsuv.jpg

The snorkel for a 73 ram air is a different part number than a 71 - 72. It is not fluted at the very end like the 71 -72 open ones.

The repops are not correct for a 1973

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to find a google image of a 73 ram air snorkel but they all had the ducting attached hiding the end of it.

At one time we had several ram air set ups at the same time that we had gathered up for the Zephyr Hills Florida swap meet and noticed that they were different. The end is flared differently and there is an extra metal tab slot thingy to hold the ducting on.

Not a huge difference but still different.

More worthless information rattling around in my head.

- Paul

The ducted inlet version of the snorkel was added in 73 as only one component of several small additions/ alterations required to meet the new emission standards.

Interestingly, nearly all of the annoying, power-robbing mods done to the 73s were intended only to help the engine meet emission standards during the initial warm up phase. Shen runing at full operating temp, most of those items served no purpose.

Back