Ram Air Setup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmarlojill

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible, 351C 2v, Full restoration
Im looking for someone that already has Ram Air setup on their car to get me some measurements please. I have done a total restoration on my 73 convertible, 351C, and would like to install the ram air but I want to be 100% sure everything will fit ok before I buy it. (Nothing else has fit during the restoration!)

Can you please tell me the exact measurements:

1. how for the hole in the piece mounted to hood that would set on air cleaner seal hangs down off the hood?

2. the height to the top of air cleaner or air cleaner seal measured from some reference point on the engine.

The main thing im trying to figure out is that I have the correct amount of room from the carb to hood for this system.

Thanks

I was going the same route as you. I requested measurements because I have an aftermarket intake and carb. I figured I would just end up putting everything on, Putting my camera phone under the hood and slowly closing it or something. They do have spacers if its too low.

I used an aftermarket intake that many said wouldn't work so I had the same questions. Jim supplied me with this info and it worked for me. Here is the thread that I had.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ram-air-help--20045

If you are using an MSD distributors some mods will be needed to the air cleaner base.

IMG_0424.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used an aftermarket intake that many said wouldn't work so I had the same questions. Jim supplied me with this info and it worked for me. Here is the thread that I had.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ram-air-help--20045

If you are using an MSD distributors some mods will be needed to the air cleaner base.
What I really need is the measurement between the hood and carb(without air cleaner), just to see if I have the space I need. Nervous to order without knowing I have enough space.

Put balls of modeling clay on top of your air cleaner around the perimeter and you should be able to get an exact measurement of your car's hood clearance.
Is there anyone else that can give me the measurement from the hood to the top of carb that has the ram air setup? Would be greatly appreciated!

Put balls of modeling clay on top of your air cleaner around the perimeter and you should be able to get an exact measurement of your car's hood clearance.
Is there anyone else that can give me the measurement from the hood to the top of carb that has the ram air setup? Would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure how you could get an accurate measurement from the top of the carb to the hood or why you would want that anyway. The hood plenum sits below the top of the hood. The measurement that you would want is from the air cleaner seal to the plenum base on the hood where the seal contacts. I have a 73 and the hood pieces fit perfectly as well as the air cleaner base. The only thing that would affect clearance is the intake manifold that you use. If you use the stock or performer manifold from Edelbrock you should have no issues with clearance. When you start to use performance manifolds with higher carb bases is where the clearance becomes an issue.

I know your concerns with aftermarket parts and their fitment but my experience with these Ram Air parts was everything lined up perfectly. My only issues was the distributor clearance but that was because I used a MSD dizzy which is 9" tall and would not clear the air cleaner base. The stock distributor will not have this issue.

Lastly I used an intake that has a higher carb base than stock and it still fit.

Back