rod bearing question on C351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machmeter1

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 - sold
Hi Guys

I purchased a new set of rod bearings:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cle-cb927p/overview/

As you can clearly see, those bearings do have that small V shape groove, which leads engine oil trough the rod bearing onto the cylinder walls.

To my question! I got the ordered bearings and noticed that those grooves are missing. I went with Clevelite bearings because they were used by Ford.

Do I have to file in those small grooves or should I install the bearings as they are? Opinions in respective Forums differ on this subject.

Some years ago I ordered bearings from another manufacturer. They also came without this groove. But at that time, I filed the groove into the bearings.

I appreciate any help you can provide

Wolfgang

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the mating surface of the rod cap has a notch across it, the v groove in the bearing half does nothing. There is no where for the oil to go. MANY years ago it was an attempt to oil the thrust side of the cylinder wall. It proved to have no real benefit and it weakened the rod cap. So, the industry stopped doing it.

Chuck

The technical term is oil squirt passage. Ford engineers sought a way to lubricate the cylinder walls. They came up with the idea to have a spit of oil through the connecting rod with every turn of the crank.

Chuck, thank you for the information. Didn't know that it has proven to be inefficient.

I'll install the bearings as they are. It was very time consuming to file all those grooves in 16 shells.

Wolfgang

The oilers are often to cool the bottom of the wrist pin for lubrication and the bottom of piston for additional cooling, and was not intended to oil the cylinder wall because the cylinders get a boat load of oil thrown on them from the oil running back down onto the crank from the lifter valley and cam etc, however, i don't know the specific purpose of the ford oiler in this app.

Back