Softball size hole in top of fender

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgeorge1112

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande
351w FMX Transmission
Ok... I have a softball size hole in the top of the front drivers side fender. It was there when I bought it. I want to save the fender, for financial reasons, but am at a loss to how to do that. I do not know how to weld, so I was hoping to figure out a way to fix it without welding. I heard I can use high strength 3M bonding glue to glue a piece of sheet metal under it and use body filler over that. I believe the hole is too big for mesh. Any suggestions would be GREATLY welcomed. The rest of the car looks pretty easy to smooth out. Just this one problem area. This is my first shot at body work. So I lay myself before the forum gurus for wisdom. I added a photo to show the hole. There is really no other bad spots. VERY little rust anywhere.

20130117_042340.jpg

Man I hate to say it because your strapped for cash but cut your losses and find another fender, I'll bet there is things going on behind that fender you can't see.

An expert body man might be able to save it. Someone without experience doesn't stand a chance. The only way to really do it is weld in a replacement piece of metal. Not an easy task at all. You will be better off waiting and looking for a used fender in good shape.

Sounds like we are all giving you the same advice...

A used fender is my suggestion too. I'd be concerned that if you tried to fix this it would be forever causing you issues.

Used (73 for you) fenders are still available and affordable if you're willing to look.

Best of luck.

Ray

^ this is probably your best option. If you think about it, you would have to buy all the products + your time to restore that fender - could cost as much as a used fender.

Even without welding I could make that fender look good temporily{using fiberglass and bondo} but it wouldn't last long. That used fender mentioned sounds like a good deal and would be much better off in the long run.

I suppose the consensus is total fender replacement. I would hate to shell out thousands of dollars for a paint job only to have it constantly causing an issue. Oh well.heres to dreaming. Cleavlandcoupe, i may take you up on that offer. I will have to calculate shipping to 47172. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Good decision! I completely understand building a car within a budget. In my opinion the biggest cost control in a budget build is to do it once and be done with it. When you get that fender off I'm sure you will find other issues that will make you happy you went that direction.

Good luck with your car!

Can you tell what caused it? It looks to have some rough edges like it rusted, and it also looks like there's some bodywork/bondo around it. Actually, is it really a hole? it almost looks like its a dent that someone patched over and then the patch fell apart (at least in the pic).

If you want to fix it I'd suggest that you start with sanding that whole area clean and find out exactly what you're dealing with. Start with some 40-80grit on a disc sander (in a drill, angle grinder...) and just roughly get down to the metal (don't cut into the metal at all if possible, that grit can grind through steel pretty fast, if you're worried about it and there's a bunch of body filler, you can rip that off fast without grinding into the base metal with a course wire brush), then show us what you end up with.

If that's pretty much all there is then you can fix it. Generally you'll want to cut the edges back till you have clean, full thickness (as in if rust or grinding thinned the metal) edges, and then In order of preference:

• cut a matching patch, shape it roughly like the area that you're filling and butt weld it in, grind the welds flush, a little hammer, dolly and body work and you'll never know it was there
  • flange the hole (either by bending the metal by hand, hammer, a flanging tool or even welding another piece to back it up from the back), then finish the same as the first one. This one will require less skill and work to get it right, the patch doesn't have to match as well, and unless you're really good will be stronger, but could potentially be visible even with perfect body work under certain weather conditions at low view and lighting angles (read rarely but I've seen it)
  • Flange like the second one and use panel bonding adhesive. this should be almost as good as the first 2, and actually the preferred method at some shops now. Fast and easy, and hard to irreparably screw up the panel (welding will cause some shrinking, and can sometimes pull the panel in directions that most can't fix)
  • the above but using epoxy, glass reenforced bondo or fiberglass resin (with some strips of cloth between the pieces) to bond it together. I've gotten away with this before panel bonding adhesive got popular with dissimilar metals that you couldn't weld, but any decent stress on the area will eventually result in cracks
  • finally, the worst that you can realistically get away with and make look good (as in hide the bodywork) is to lay up some fiberglass cloth. It can be made to (I think there are some videos how to do it using one of the repair kits on youtube), but honestly, it's more work than just putting metal in there. You basically chamber the edges of the metal and lay up the FG on some plastic with some resin, and then stick it to the repair area, shape it as close as you can get it and peal the plastic off...

With any repair, you want to do your best to get behind it with something waterproof (more pannel bonding adhesive, 'glass reenforced bondo...) and then even give it a coat of paint to make sure that no moisture can get in there (and you don't even have a gap in say a flange that moisture can sit in), or that's where rust will start.

FWIW, I doubt anyone, even someone that knows what they're doing, will get this done well in less than an hour or 2, so keep that in mind if you run across a good fender for a reasonable price (of course, if you don't have other dis-assembly that you have to do anyway, remember that it will probably take you a couple of hours, at least to swap fenders and it may take you more than that to get the front end sheetmetal well aligned)

Thanks.so much for the response silverback

I am not sure what caused the home honestly. It just looks lije a rust spot perhaps or where a hole was knocked in it and it rusted. Whoever did it just painted over it with primer and i guess decided they would fix it later. I just feel that a metal patch welded in would work,but that might be the novice in me. I will give that a try. I REALLLY dont want to buy a new fender. That will cut into my NASA hood budget. Thanks for the info. I actually did not see it till today.

Back