suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Need some advice on suspension set up from the dragracers here. I need to improve my 60' times. The car is running anywher from 2.160 to 1.919. The front sway bar is off and I am running a set of 90/10 shocks in front. The car is set up with frame connectors and a set of lakewoods, and 456 gearing on BF Goodrich 27" tall drag radials.

Anyone have any advice for bringing these time down to at least a 1.6 60' ?

BTW there is no wheel slip.

Jim

Go to the CalTrac bars and a set of adjustable rear shocks. That'll handle the rear. Free up the front suspension as much as possible. Roller spring perches Adjustable shocks and rod end strut rods are a good start.

Both devices mentioned above would be an improvement (especially the caltracks). If there is no tire spin or wheel hop it would seem you have enough traction for the power level. Is the car an automatic? If so, do you know the approximate stall speed? What are the specs on the cam? Does the car bog as soon as you leave? I'm asking because it may be the convertor is too tight for the combination. If it is a standard shift car, have you tried raising the launch RPM? Just a thoughts. Chuck

Chuck the car isn't bogging when it comes off the line. I am running a 10" 2500 stall. The cam is an Isky P/N 431281 280 mega; hyd. .323, .565, 280 duration, [email protected] with 108ls. The trans is a C6 with a reversr valve body.

I like the idea if the cal tracs. Am going to have to look into them this winter.

I should also add I am running 20 lbs air pressure in the rear tires.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck the car isn't bogging when it comes off the line. I am running a 10" 2500 stall. The cam is an Isky P/N 431281 280 mega; hyd. .323, .565, 280 duration, [email protected] with 108ls. The trans is a C6 with a reversr valve body.

I like the idea if the cal tracs. Am going to have to look into them this winter.

I should also add I am running 20 lbs air pressure in the rear tires.

Jim
Jim, I'll start by saying I have ZERO experience with Drag Radials but, if it isn't spinning and it isn't bogging it would seem to be something of a cam to convertor mis-match. You might try "flashing" the convertor instead of foot braking the convertor on launch, if you haven't tried this already. If the 60' improves noticeably the car may need a somewhat higher stall speed convertor. An alternative to that might be advancing the cam 2-4 degrees to pick up the bottom end torque. I make no claim to be a cam guru. However, I think the engine needs a wider (110-112) LSA especially since it is a canted valve head. Are you running the 4V heads? If so, I also feel it would benefit from a 6-8 degree duration split favoring the exhaust as well as .015-.020 more exhaust lift. Try the easy and cheap things first to gather more data to base decisions to make more difficult and expensive changes on. Just an opinion. Chuck

Back