Transmission oil cooler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Guys,

Do you have any reccomendations for a C6 transmission oil cooler. Also does anyone know the diameter of the transmission oil lines. I want to try to splice in AN fittings if possible.

thx

Can't remember the line size, I wanna say 3/8" (?). I'd consider doing away with the hard line, and going to all SS hose.

I bought a handful of different sized coolers from one of the several NASCAR used parts sellers back when they were ridiculously cheap... something around 20 bucks each. They're still not priced too bad. They are threaded for AN fittings and are the stacked plate style. They carry used/new hoses of varying lengths and diameters that have fittings already on them, as well as just fittings.

I've always installed the largest cooler that could physically fit in the area that I could fit it.

Never had a problem, or heard of "overcooled" trans fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:
J,

Heres my setup

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-4190

In addition I have a magnetic inline filter installed (Highly recommend)

http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Transmission-Filter-R038M.htm

The lines are 3/8" I made all new ones..Came out great nice neat..Maybe I can grab a shot tomorrow(car is put away for winter) The key was making templates using some stiff but yet bendable wire. I used 3/8" Green pvc coated brake line..
Thx Q, I really appreciate your inputs. Which line should this be attached to, the line with the forward connection or the rear one?

-john

The filter goes on the OUT line of the tranny cooler which is then connected to the In line of the tranny I'm not 100% sure on the c-6 but I know theres a chart with flow you can look up..I think it's the rear for in (cool) forward (hot)out..Just double check do a search if you need a full schematic of flow how the system should be plumbed let me know I can draw it for you

Also forgot to mention..With the fan your going to need to wire a sensor for on off I have mine slaved to my electric rad fan sensor (180) Or you could run all the time..Or a switch.. Or a trans temp sensor..Pick your poison Of course Ideally the best would be a trans temp sensor or inline trans line temp sender..You could also run the none fan version if you like...I've checked my tranny temp within 5 minutes after some runs (the baumann setup gives you real time temp) Always been around 130-140

would you still use the existing tranny cooler in conjunction with the new cooler?

I like the idea of bending new lines, this is something I was planning on doing next spring.

would you still use the existing tranny cooler in conjunction with the new cooler?

I like the idea of bending new lines, this is something I was planning on doing next spring.
Yes you use both, the cooler is added on to the radiator tranny cooler, my lines came out pretty nice.. the flaring can be a pain sometimes

Yes you use both, the cooler is added on to the radiator tranny cooler, my lines came out pretty nice.. the flaring can be a pain sometimes
I'll connect the cooling fan to one of the radiator fans. The return line is the rear connected line on the tranny from what I have been able to find. Thx again Q.

-john

Can't remember the line size, I wanna say 3/8" (?). I'd consider doing away with the hard line, and going to all SS hose.

I bought a handful of different sized coolers from one of the several NASCAR used parts sellers back when they were ridiculously cheap... something around 20 bucks each. They're still not priced too bad. They are threaded for AN fittings and are the stacked plate style. They carry used/new hoses of varying lengths and diameters that have fittings already on them, as well as just fittings.

I've always installed the largest cooler that could physically fit in the area that I could fit it.

Never had a problem, or heard of "overcooled" trans fluid.
Thx MotoArts. I missed your posting before. Yeah I am thinking about running SS braided lines.

thx

The filter goes on the OUT line of the tranny cooler which is then connected to the In line of the tranny I'm not 100% sure on the c-6 but I know theres a chart with flow you can look up..I think it's the rear for in (cool) forward (hot)out..Just double check do a search if you need a full schematic of flow how the system should be plumbed let me know I can draw it for you

Also forgot to mention..With the fan your going to need to wire a sensor for on off I have mine slaved to my electric rad fan sensor (180) Or you could run all the time..Or a switch.. Or a trans temp sensor..Pick your poison Of course Ideally the best would be a trans temp sensor or inline trans line temp sender..You could also run the none fan version if you like...I've checked my tranny temp within 5 minutes after some runs (the baumann setup gives you real time temp) Always been around 130-140
Q,

I found this cooler and decided to go with it. It actually has a sensor built into it so I will only need to wire it up to the battery. Don't need to have it to a switched source or relay so it will go on and off based solely on oil temp. I wasn't even thinking about a fan cooled one and was going to go with a passive one but this should cool better. Thx for suggesting the one you had. I had a spare circuit on the fuse box next to the battery so this will work out really well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70298/overview/

-john

Q,

I found this cooler and decided to go with it. It actually has a sensor built into it so I will only need to wire it up to the battery. Don't need to have it to a switched source or relay so it will go on and off based solely on oil temp. I wasn't even thinking about a fan cooled one and was going to go with a passive one but this should cool better. Thx for suggesting the one you had. I had a spare circuit on the fuse box next to the battery so this will work out really well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70298/overview/

-john
Oh Very NICE! I likey...High tech!

If I had to buy a new one, that would be it

Hello Q,

Wow, what a great product to protect your equipment! What is the outside material of the filter? Does it come with a mounting clamp? Where did you mount the filter?

Thanks

mustang7173 :D

J,

Heres my setup

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-4190

In addition I have a magnetic inline filter installed (Highly recommend)

http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Transmission-Filter-R038M.htm

The lines are 3/8" I made all new ones..Came out great nice neat..Maybe I can grab a shot tomorrow(car is put away for winter) The key was making templates using some stiff but yet bendable wire. I used 3/8" Green pvc coated brake line..

Back