Under Coat Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how sloppy and oily it is... a hair dryer and a semi rigid plastic scraper.

I'd avoid the heat gun (too hot) unless it's really dry, brittle stuff. Same with a metal scraper, it will tend to dig in and scratch the sheetmetal.

Follow up with mineral spirits on a rag.

Other solvents (lacquer or enamel thinner, etc.) flash off too quickly and are very flammable.

I recently finished my entire under carriage....

My process was to use a wood chisel that I had put on a grinder to dull the edge so that it would not dig in to metal. I used this because it was heavier than other tools and so it would cut through the junk easier.

Next, I used a soft wire brush on my drill to get the remaining junk off. I was careful not to remove the paint by not pressing too hard or using too stiff of a wire wheel. If the area to be cleaned was wet then I would first wipe down with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, let dry and then wire wheel.

When all this was complete, I wiped the entire area down with lacquer thinner before painting.

Before and after pics...

Jeff

2e1rnex.jpg

oi9o9l.jpg

Easy off oven cleaner. Sprayed on,1hr later wiped off with a rag. The rest of the car I used plastic scraper,#2 Black&Decker cone wire wheel and a 3M medium sanding disc on my die grinder. I didn't strip all of it to bear metal. It didn't seem necessary to me. I removed just the under coating.

1 103.jpg

1 104.jpg

1 112.jpg

8-4-12 009.jpg

9-1-12 009.jpg

Oven cleaner or gasoline , spray on the gasoline with a paintgun and take of the coating with a rag.

JB

+1 on the gasoline. I did my entire undercarriage with gasoline and a rag. Just be careful and do it in a well-ventilated area and you'll be fine.

I recently finished my entire under carriage....

My process was to use a wood chisel that I had put on a grinder to dull the edge so that it would not dig in to metal. I used this because it was heavier than other tools and so it would cut through the junk easier.

Next, I used a soft wire brush on my drill to get the remaining junk off. I was careful not to remove the paint by not pressing too hard or using too stiff of a wire wheel. If the area to be cleaned was wet then I would first wipe down with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, let dry and then wire wheel.

Nice job!

When all this was complete, I wiped the entire area down with lacquer thinner before painting.

Before and after pics...

Jeff

2e1rnex.jpg

oi9o9l.jpg

Actually, if you throw a burning match into a bucket of gas, the match goes out. Try it!

Actually, if you throw a burning match into a bucket of gas, the match goes out. Try it!
Ah yes R,

The many stories i could tell of many a Spraypainter standing over a 20 litre open and full drum of slop thinners, and smoking cigarettes, then throwing the lighted cigi into the thinners drum.

BTW - I never did that!!:rolleyes:

Greg.:)

Back