Water pump heater bypass-Can I plug it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
My car only has the heater option, no air conditioning. I removed the heater core and lines to make the engine bay look cleaner. The engine is a 351 4V Cleveland and it has the restrictor plate inside the block under the thermostat housing. I have the proper thermostat as well.

Can I simply block off both of the water pump heater outlets or do I need to loop them together? I want to make sure the engine gets proper cooling since I'm in South Texas and the weather is extremely hot.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My car only has the heater option, no air conditioning. I removed the heater core and lines to make the engine bay look cleaner. The engine is a 351 4V Cleveland and it has the restrictor plate inside the block under the thermostat housing. I have the proper thermostat as well.

Can I simply block off both of the water pump heater outlets or do I need to loop them together? I want to make sure the engine gets proper cooling since I'm in South Texas and the weather is extremely hot.

Thanks!
you need to loop them together . the rubber caps are NOT designed to hold much pressure and can and do fail . been there, done that.

also, there is no need to bypass the heater if your rad and fans are big enough, in fact, if they were you could run 185 degrees on a 100 degree day.

Thanks!
Both of the nipples on the water pump connect to the same area in the water pump. They are both inlets into the pump. They, in addition to the radiator hose connection, are the inlet/supply side of the pump. The pump pulls coolant in from those locations and pushes the coolant into the block via two passage ways between the pump and the block.

If you eliminate the heater core you could loop a piece of hose from the nipple ON THE BLOCK to one of the nipples on the water pump. (either one-they are the same) This will achieve what the bypass washer's purpose is. (bypassing "the radiator" directly back to the pump...and into the block again) This will route a percentage of your heated coolant directly back to the pump and back to the block, bypassing the radiator. This would allow the coolant in the block/heads to circulate prior to the thermostat opening. This by the way, is what the bypass washer does, only the bypass washer closes as the thermostat opens- to direct all coolant through the radiator. So you could then eliminate the brass bypass washer and use a non-Cleveland specific thermostat but you would then have a bypass which remains open, all the time.

I would install pipe plugs in the two ports on the water pump (one of which had a heater hose) and cap/plug the nipple on the block (which had a heater hose) and keep the brass bypass washer with the Cleveland specific thermostat. When plugged this way it is exactly (to your car's cooling system) as if the heater is turned off. When your heat is turned off, there is no coolant flowing from the nipple on the block to the heater core. If there's no coolant flowing to the heater core, there is no coolant flowing from the heater core to the water pump. Therefore the only coolant that can flow to the water pump will be through the bypass washer, when the thermostat is closed or the lower radiator hose, when the thermostat is open.

Thanks!
you need to loop them together . the rubber caps are NOT designed to hold much pressure and can and do fail . been there, done that.

also, there is no need to bypass the heater if your rad and fans are big enough, in fact, if they were you could run 185 degrees on a 100 degree day.
Respectfully speaking, I'm not sure what question it is that you answered but if you are saying to connect together the 2 nipples/ports which are both on the water pump, that is not correct. Connecting those two ports together will do nothing. It would be the same as putting plugs in both of them.

Respectfully speaking, I'm not sure what question it is that you answered but if you are saying to connect together the 2 nipples/ports which are both on the water pump, that is not correct. Connecting those two ports together will do nothing. It would be the same as putting plugs in both of them.
its quite simple, he is removing the two hoses that go to the heater . he simply loops the two exposed fittings together which is correct .

^^ Yes, that's what I'm trying to explain/do.

You will then have a bypass, in addition to the bypass provided by the brass bypass washer, that will bypass the radiator continuously. If you would like to have hot coolant continuously bypassing the radiator, directly back into the pump---and on to the block, then this will work perfectly for you.

If however, you have any concerns about this scenario and how it relates to your 100° Texas weather and your Cleveland's ability to keep cool in that weather, I would take the advice I already offered...just sayin'

its quite simple, he is removing the two hoses that go to the heater . he simply loops the two exposed fittings together which is correct .
This is what he asked..."Can I simply block off both of the water pump heater outlets or do I need to loop them together?"

The water pump does not have outlets where hoses could be looped together. (they are inlets- I know this is semantics) I too realize what he is attempting to ask but thought it would be more helpful to explain what is actually occurring at the pump so he could understand why plugging those two "inlets" makes more sense. If you wanted to do away with the brass washer bypass (for some reason- I wouldn't), then I would connect one of the ports on the water pump to the nipple on the block. (this would be continuous)

Sorry for my ignorance. In summary I bypassed the heater core since I removed it. So I will now plug the two nipples on the water pump and also plug the block nipple I order to retain the factory coolant circulation (less heater core) with the factory bypass washer and correct Cleveland thermostat.

Correct?

your post seemed clear enough to me, and again, use rubber caps at your own peril . the last one i used lasted around 45 minutes after which the top blew off hurling massive amounts of water all over my concours boss 302 engine that i was nearly finished with.

Sorry for my ignorance. In summary I bypassed the heater core since I removed it. So I will now plug the two nipples on the water pump and also plug the block nipple I order to retain the factory coolant circulation (less heater core) with the factory bypass washer and correct Cleveland thermostat.

Correct?
That's what I'd do. You'll have to decide for yourself. There's differing opinions on the brass bypass washer, I just believe it is the way to go.

Please do not apologize for your "ignorance." I've noticed you (4mm) here on this site quite a few times before and wouldn't remember "4mm" if you hadn't impressed me before. Nobody knows everything. You asked a question, I just was trying to help you with a more thorough explanation of a subject I got OCD on about a year ago. At that time I read everything on planet Earth regarding the topic.

Maybe a real short piece of heater hose worm-drive clamped to the nipple on the block on one end and a "barbed plug" worm-drive clamped on the other end would work better than a rubber cap...? NPT pipe plugs in the water pump, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Brass-Fitting-Connector/dp/B0070TU0Z4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1458700286&sr=8-4&keywords=5%2F8%22+hose+barbed+brass+fitting (select 5/8" Barb x 1/2" NPT Male)

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-56108-Fitting-Female/dp/B002SAS3UE/ref=sr_1_2?srs=4634534011&ie=UTF8&qid=1458700475&sr=8-2&keywords=brass+1%2F2%22+npt+brass+cap

Good luck with it and if I can ever help again, let me know. Peace out...Eric

Back