weight of your car?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi guys, I've hooked up one of those gauges which measure horsepower, quarter mile, etc...

(The gauge is an autometer 6180 DPIC)

To accurately calculate the hp, it needs the total weight of my car...

Could I ask for a few of you guys who have already weighed theirs to give me some figures...

I'm 90kg (I'll have to convert to pounds)

car is 71 mach1 m code with ram air, fmx, headers.

no aircon. (even though it was born with it)

Half tank of gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is 3450 pounds with a lightened 73 front bumper, 351C 4V iron heads, headers, 5 speed, ram air hood aftermarket AC, but no power steering
Thats impossible!! Mustang monthly says our cays ballooned too 4,000 lb curb weight {rolls eyes} with out gas even..hehe jk

Btw jim i would safely bet your car with gas is about 3500...100 pounds of gas if you got a full tank plus oil in the car..and you...3500 too 3600 is a good safe bet with you in the car....Well counts how heavy you are of cource too...lol...Our local scrap yards will usualy let ya roll your car across real fast for a check.

a fully optioned 73 might have weighed around 3750 lbs

the lightest of the 71-72 models could have gotten down to about 3300 lbs

Mustang Monthly can suck my tailpipe!
Mmmm According to many many books and alot of online places...

Curb-weight range, pounds: 2,907-3,261 (1971); 2,995-3,216 (1973}...Thats with no oil or anything thou...Thats pure dry...But i keep hearing all the way too 4000 from some sites...lol..i even checked it with my cousins engineer books...He gots a library of old ford and mechinical manuals...And they all said the same which surpized me...They shouldn't weight more than 3300 pounds with no gas or oil in them....according too the books.

But i did talked too the editor of mustang mag..He said they took one across the scale at 3700...I said..well was that with man and gas? how much gas and how heavy was the man? ...Still...Thats lighter than your mag says 4,000lb curb weight...And he said well your right on that and we will look into it...{rolls eyes} well I think he one of them bias 71-73 mustang guys...lol

I have a classic car calendar that lists the weight of a 68 Dodge Charger as 4.3 tons, or 8600 pounds. Yeah, right.

Way back when mine weighed in right at 3500. Thats with the stock 2v motor and C-6. Now it has a bunch of aluminum bits on the motor, headers vs manifolds, toploader, different rear bumper, less undercoating, less interior insulation and lighter seats. Maybe shaved 150lbs off?

I have a classic car calendar that lists the weight of a 68 Dodge Charger as 4.3 tons, or 8600 pounds. Yeah, right.

wtf? My crew cab diesel weighs less then that at just shy of 7,000 with tool box, 18k winch (in tool box cause I'm too lazy to mount), front end replacement (300 lbs. + ), head ache rack, heavy duty rear bumper, up to 4 spare tires (depending on the trip and if/ what I am hauling), 110 gal. aux fuel tank (empty), and a few other kinda heavy add ons.

Alright you gave Wolverine another opportunity to calculate BEER weight again.
I don't have to calculate:

2e0ic93.jpg

Don't you guys have labels on your cars?

For the record, my convertible with automatic, came out of the factory as a fire breathing I6. And I am not ashamed.

Here is the CALCULATED weight:

263j7gl.jpg

And per the authoritative WIKIpedia:

The gross vehicle weight rating (also gross vehicle mass, GVWR, GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers or beer.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.

Alright you gave Wolverine another opportunity to calculate BEER weight again.
I don't have to calculate:

2e0ic93.jpg

Don't you guys have labels on your cars?

For the record, my convertible with automatic, came out of the factory as a fire breathing I6. And I am not ashamed.

Here is the CALCULATED weight:

263j7gl.jpg

And per the authoritative WIKIpedia:

The gross vehicle weight rating (also gross vehicle mass, GVWR, GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers or beer.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.
LMAO

Title for my '71 reads 3201 pounds - and that's for a Sportsroof with a 351C and C6. A bit lower than I would have figured.

-Kurt

Title weight is usually the same for all models in a series and reflects the base model.
That's a nice pain in the arse when your door data tag predates those that have the GWVR.

Good to know though, regardless - when I get a Florida Y.O.M. tag for it, I'll make sure to get one that reflects a vehicle weighing less than 3,501 pounds - probably how the DMV would have categorized it back then.

-Kurt

Back