Aprons

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi,

I ordered aprons for the 72 and they came w/o holes on the top. There is suppose to be two, one for the clip and the other for the bolt. How do you fix this problem? The holes are not round and I can't see myself recreating them with the tools I have. Any suggestions?

I know what you mean. One is a square-ish hole and then an oval right next to it. I drilled four holes to form the corners of the "square", then cut between the circles with a small cutoff wheel to complete the square opening. Touch it it up with a file and all is well. Same procedure for the oval holes, but only two holes drilled with a bigger bit, the same diameter as the width of the slot.

To make this process easier I traced the double hole pattern from my old apron then made up a six hole "drill guide" out of lexan. I made it for an 1/8" pilot hole (for all six holes), and clamped it to the car. After those holes were drilled I removed the drill guide and went through with a step drill to the needed size.

Here's a pic that shows the holes in my aprons, I replaced both sides.

~Jim

IMG_0375.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reading this post makes me appreciate my rust and accident free Ca. cars. My friend Dave is doing the same thing with his pewter 71 mach 1 and it has been a long process, But he has them all in and seam sealed no fender holes cut yet though.

Hi,

I ordered aprons for the 72 and they came w/o holes on the top. There is suppose to be two, one for the clip and the other for the bolt. How do you fix this problem? The holes are not round and I can't see myself recreating them with the tools I have. Any suggestions?
Darren,

If your doing "concours type work or must have it factory" you do what 72q said..If not you mount & align the fenders...mark where the holes go..drill through..use a fender washer & nut underneath.. Done

I know what you mean. One is a square-ish hole and then an oval right next to it. I drilled four holes to form the corners of the "square", then cut between the circles with a small cutoff wheel to complete the square opening. Touch it it up with a file and all is well. Same procedure for the oval holes, but only two holes drilled with a bigger bit, the same diameter as the width of the slot.

To make this process easier I traced the double hole pattern from my old apron then made up a six hole "drill guide" out of lexan. I made it for an 1/8" pilot hole (for all six holes), and clamped it to the car. After those holes were drilled I removed the drill guide and went through with a step drill to the needed size.

~Jim
Looks good!

Hi,

Darren,

If your doing "concours type work or must have it factory" you do what 72q said..If not you mount & align the fenders...mark where the holes go..drill through..use a fender washer & nut underneath.. Done
Makes sense...Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

~Jim
That bay looks good. Thats what I want my bay to look like in a few weeks.

Back