Alignment of 72 Front Frame Assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
390GT
Hi All,

I am fitting a new Dynacorn front end with new fire wall and cowls. Horizontal alignment was relatively easy and matched the attached drawing. I am struggling with the vertical measurements matching the drawing and have come to a stand still. I am working off of a level 4 post hoist and have several jacks for vertical adjustment. The car is higher off the hoist than the vertical measurements on the drawing so I added the difference to each measurement. Here is what I have done so far.
  1. horizontal distance from center of front leaf bolt to B & C holes (steering and idler holes) is a match
  2. the vertical distance from datum line to center of leaf bolt exceeds the drawing by 7 inches so I added that distance to each vertical measurement
  3. when I adjusted the vertical height of the front end to match B and C on the drawing I can get a match and the flanges on the frame assembly align well with the firewall but
  4. when I confirm vertical measurements A and D they are too high. If I lower the jack at front of car the flanges open up on fire wall
  5. I installed the drivers door and will adjust properly after I install new door pins
  6. the front end in the attached picture is level across, square and matches horizontal measurements but i am concerned that the angle to torque box is not correct (possibly tipped upward at front)
  7. I will install the fender to see how it aligns with door
  8. I am about 1/2 inch too high at upper control arm hole and approximatley 1 1/2 inches high at front bumper bolt (if I rotate the front frame assembly downward and front to match the drawing the flange at firewall is terrible)
  9. I have found several drawings so not sure if I am using the most appropriate one
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks from Canada,

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_5410.jpg
    IMG_5410.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
The drawing that you're using appears to be the same as the one I have that I know is for a '71. I've attached another one that is from either a '72 or '73. They are virtually the same front dimensions except for the front bumper hole. The rear dimensions are different. You might try these dimensions, to see if they make things fit better.

Attachments

• Underbody dimensions-2.pdf
    464.7 KB · Views: 2
The drawing that you're using appears to be the same as the one I have that I know is for a '71. I've attached another one that is from either a '72 or '73. They are virtually the same front dimensions except for the front bumper hole. The rear dimensions are different. You might try these dimensions, to see if they make things fit better.
Thanks. I purchased a 72 shop manual and it has the same drawing you forwarded. I have seen some posts where the rear measurement was corrected to 15.03. Do you know what is the correct one? Thank-you

Back