How much "junk" do you carry around in your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

You know, sometimes I get sick and tired of all the crap I have stuffed into the near-useless little cubby-hole we have in the back of our cars...where a normal-sized trunk resides on most other cars.

Since my car, "Ol' Boots" is relegated to mostly car-show and cruise-night duty now I have the faux-trunk jack-full with two folding chairs and a folding table, a couple of "California Dusters", bags of various cleaning towels, bottles of spray detailers, window cleaners, tire cleaners, tire shine, interior dressing, portable vac, flashlights and a few select tools.

Underneath the folded-down rear seat is where I keep the display paraphenalia: magazines with my car featured, pictures of my car in a couple different TV shows, old pictures when it was new, window sticker and the showboard with the cars "story"...

I prefer to show the car without any of this crap, but there is no denying that all that stuff displayed with the car draws easily 3 or 4 times as much attention as it does when just displayed "pure".

The bright red paint with black trim and stripes, accented with gleaming chrome and Magnums is the perfect combo for a car show or cruise night...it draws attention away from almost any other car, except one.

My buddy owns an authentic, gen-u-wine "General Lee" Charger. That car draws crowds like no other car I've ever seen. People spot and recognize it from a mile away, and always make a beeline straight for it. They mostly stand around slack-jawed staring at it with a big, dumb shit-eating grin plastered on thier faces. Most of them have to let out a "Yee-Haw!" before tottering off.

It is amazing. That is the ONLY car that has ever been able to consistently out-draw mine.

But...when my "Starsky & Hutch" Torino is finished later this year, I am positive it will get the same kind of reaction from show-goers and cruise-night attendees.

my trunk only has 4 bag chairs, a Mustang round foldup table, a bag that matches the trunk mat with cleaners and rags to clean the car.

other than that when we go to a show, we also have a cooler bag with snacks and drinks.

the only reason I added the trunk mat is to protect the trunks paint.

20130425_193730.jpg

20131005_175706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kit, easy fix... Next time find out where your mate parks his general lee and then say seeya later and park yours at the opposite end of the grounds..!

Our clydesdales are beautiful and don't play well with others ... They demand attention and usually get it...

As for what's in my boot... Spare, small trolley jack, car cover ...that's it, I'm full! Hehe

I keep the original vinyl storage bag for the convertible top boot, a set of vintage safety reflectors, a quart of type F trans fluid (got a leaky trans seal), a quart of 10W30 (got a leaky rear main seal), and a small bag of basic tools.

When going to a show I take all my detailing stuff, binder with history of car, folding chair etc.

I made a "show bag" to store all the stuff in out of the trunk while at a show. It's my son's old Tae Kwon Do gym bag. I bought some large Mustang patches and put on the ends of the bag to hide the original markings. It's real patriotic looking and I usually get nice comments about it.

Two tools chests, spare tire, originaljack plus floor jack, spare tire, bottles of fluids such as oil, power steerin and brake, watertight box with shop manuals, some parts taht were taken off car and replaced but were still in useable condition, such as belts, spark plugs and plus wires. A bad with a change fo cothes in cae I get stuck somewhere far from home.

Ole Pony! i dont carry my sons old martial arts bag.... i carry MINE!! :cool: its not what's in the bag, nunchucks, a S

&W 9mm and brass knuckles and my really cool knife....its my WIFE you have to worry about... LOL! but along with that is an antique air pump and jack and 2 chairs

Ole Pony! i dont carry my sons old martial arts bag.... i carry MINE!! :cool: its not what's in the bag, nunchucks, a S

&W 9mm and brass knuckles and my really cool knife....its my WIFE you have to worry about... LOL! but along with that is an antique air pump and jack and 2 chairs

Basically a spare with no air. But I only drive around town, only on nice days and only on occasion. The 82 Jeep Cherokee I use for Off Road stuff is a completely different story. I have too much stuff to list. (spare starter for example...)

I don't carry a spare nor a jack.I have fuses in the glovebox along with registration I have a power cord for my cell phone, a pair of reading glasses, a small led flashlight, 2 screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, a pocket knife and a roll of electrical tape.

In the backseat, I have a disposable fire extinguisher.

That's it for me.

I was thinking of adding some junk - maybe a spare tire and a jack but I just haven't gotten around to it. Right now, there is only a fire extinguisher where the bottle for the space saver went.

The '71 has its original spare rim with no spare tire, and all the RH trim in the trunk, along with a jack and two wheel chucks. You can tell it is a car in progress.

The '72 has a used trunk cutout sitting in it, along with the carb, intake manifold, water pump, valve covers, rear trim, and 1000 other doo-dads that should be under the HOOD, not under the TRUNK. You can tell it is a car in DIRE need of progress.

-Kurt

Have no spare tire or jack in the trunk, yet.

Do have a jumper box, 850 amp cold rated. Have used

that a couple times when dealing with charging

issues. Also a halitron extinguisher, for that day.

mike

Back