True Street 500hp 408 Clevo build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Howdy All

This belongs to a guy on another forum thought I would share as it would be a great true street 408 Cleveland with hydraulic roller cam and dual plane, great tq curve and a 109 lobe separation cam so should have good vacuum and reasonable fuel economy.

15mjm7r.jpg
[/img]

std block

408ci

11.6 comp

240@050 hyd roller cam

CHI 3v 208cc heads

CH dual plane

750 quck fuel 1 3/4 4into1 pipes

bp98 fuel

ICE ignition

550hp @6000

538ftlb tq @4450

Tried posting up the dyno sheet but it just comes up as a picture of some weed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck CX9 has a very stout engine too. What is really impressive about his build is its done with iron heads and a flat tappet cam,from memory it makes over 500tq lower down than this build too

20pt4cp.jpg
[/img]

Working on the cam for you guys will post it when Boz gets back to me

Hey Luke these seem to be about where good street Clevelands are sitting these days in the 500-600 HP area. God it wasn't all that long ago that this sort of power was basically a strip engine. That intake looks like one of the latest CHI dual planes, they are a really great piece. Apparently CHI tested this intake back to back with one of their single planes and the top end difference was only around the 10 HP mark, but the torque greater everywhere especially down in the lower RPM range. I've heard of a 393 that's running one these intakes and is making over 650 HP and around the 600 lbs/ft mark. Happy days for Cleveland fans.

Hey Luke these seem to be about where good street Clevelands are sitting these days in the 500-600 HP area. God it wasn't all that long ago that this sort of power was basically a strip engine. That intake looks like one of the latest CHI dual planes, they are a really great piece. Apparently CHI tested this intake back to back with one of their single planes and the top end difference was only around the 10 HP mark, but the torque greater everywhere especially down in the lower RPM range. I've heard of a 393 that's running one these intakes and is making over 650 HP and around the 600 lbs/ft mark. Happy days for Cleveland fans.
Yeh a 500hp engine of any kind back in the 90s was a cranky arse thing and ugly to drive around town. Yeh there seems to be a few stout 393s about these days. I seen that manifold write up on a aussie ford forum it was like 40tq better in the mid range matched it at higher rpm and only dropped off after 7500 or something like that. Really demonstrates how much potential a Clevo has my 454 doesn't make that much more power than a good 393-408c

Wow Luke this is one bad as motor!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji39][emoji41][emoji106] Thank you very much too share this one! Regards Lars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Hi Luke would Like to hear you about some thing. I have change oil type from Redline 5/50 to Pennzoil 20/50!? But did see that My oil pressor drops from 75 65 cold and 67-50 hot! My oil supplier did' have more off the Redline stuff!... But why is it had so much influence on My Motor? Regards Lars

Wow Luke this is one bad as motor!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji39][emoji41][emoji106] Thank you very much too share this one! Regards Lars

Hi Luke would Like to hear you about some thing. I have change oil type from Redline 5/50 to Pennzoil 20/50!? But did see that My oil pressor drops from 75 65 cold and 67-50 hot! My oil supplier did' have more off the Redline stuff!... But why is it had so much influence on My Motor? Regards Lars

Lars there are about 1000 guys on the site I would ask for technical advice before trusting my advice on things like this. I know exactly enough to get myself into a world of trouble breaking my stuff is ok but breaking someone else's stuff is wrong. All I can say is years ago I put mobile 1 in my Monaro and noticed the pressure dropped off I asked my friend who is a mechanic about it and he told me some oils flow better than others with less pressure the oil pump provides flow not pressure less pressure could mean more oil volume going through the engine the pressure is still ok and I guess for you being on Denmark the lower viscosity will be a benefit in cold start in cold weather. That's all I have Lars check with someone with more knowledge.

Luke,

Thanks for posting the information on the CHI 408C. Very good numbers and I'm glad to see CHI has finally made a dual plane intake for their heads, way overdue. Mine only made 496 torque at 4900 RPM and 529 HP at 6400 RPM. It is an iron head, 9.6:1 SCR, flat tappet engine. Torque is at or above 450 from 3200 RPM to 6000 RPM. Where I live pump premium is 91 octane, AKI method, which is about 95 using RON method. I wish I could get 94 AKI octane fuel readily. The car was built as a driven concours car so it needed to look "stock". I do love seeing 351C based engine making big power.

Thanks, Chuck

Awesome.... do you have more of the cam specs, or which grind #?

I hope you can post the dyno results... I am very curious.
Tony it's a custom grind. All the important specs are there you should be able to contact a cam grinder and get close to the Dyno sheet provided.

Luke..She's a beauty...Howdy All

This belongs to a guy on another forum thought I would share as it would be a great true street 408 Cleveland with hydraulic roller cam and dual plane, great tq curve and a 109 lobe separation cam so should have good vacuum and reasonable fuel economy.

15mjm7r.jpg
[/img]

std block

408ci

11.6 comp

240@050 hyd roller cam

CHI 3v 208cc heads

CH dual plane

750 quck fuel 1 3/4 4into1 pipes

bp98 fuel

ICE ignition

550hp @6000

538ftlb tq @4450

Tried posting up the dyno sheet but it just comes up as a picture of some weed.

Back