1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking car...although really tough drinking a beer while looking at the pic's...kept spilling, so I had to make a decision...look at your cool car or drink beer. Well it didnt take me long to stop looking at the car. :cool:

SANY0036.JPGSANY0048.JPG

Can’t help with a value but welcome to a great place for all 71-73 fans. It sounds like a nice car, have fun with it and share some pictures when you have a chance.
Here is a real spring special. I bought it in '99 from the original owner. Original paint, engine, interior.... Car now has 71k and change. 302, c4, black standard interior. I added the magnums but have since returned to the original dog dish wheels and white walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a 1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe. It has a numbers matching 351 Cleveland 2V. The car has 54,000 original miles and is in very nice but not showroom shape. It has had a recent paint job and does not have original wheels. I am wondering if anyone can help me estimate a value. I know these cars are rare, but I don't know if they are collectible. It has NASA hood and boss stripes. In addition it is green with black stripes which is the original color code. Most were red with black.
::welcome::being low mileage by the book i would not doubt @ 23 thousand. The 71 boss 429 up in the highs 50s then the shelbys of 68-70 goes in trailored shape up to @ 150 for the convertible w/428 side oiler motor.

Can’t help with a value but welcome to a great place for all 71-73 fans. It sounds like a nice car, have fun with it and share some pictures when you have a chance.
Here is a real spring special. I bought it in '99 from the original owner. Original paint, engine, interior.... Car now has 71k and change. 302, c4, black standard interior. I added the magnums but have since returned to the original dog dish wheels and white walls.
sicnhed --

Yeah buddy! That is an extremely nice example of a 1971 Spring Special. Repro Magnums ? looks good but I really like the dog dish and rings too.

Repro Magnums are EVERYWHERE... :dodgy:

onkoucky --

Your car is a very nice looking car whether is is a modded Spring Special or a modded coupe. Like others have mentioned, get the Marti report - it will help a lot if you want the car original. FYI rear spoiler is not correct for any coupe...

I really like that color (Grabber Lime) - It is a real head-turner.

Enjoy your car the way you want.

Ray

Can’t help with a value but welcome to a great place for all 71-73 fans.  It sounds like a nice car, have fun with it and share some pictures when you have a chance.
Here is a real spring special.  I bought it in '99 from the original owner.  Original paint, engine, interior....  Car now has 71k and change.  302, c4, black standard interior.  I added the magnums but have since returned to the original dog dish wheels and white walls.
 I also have a Spring Special that was purchased from the original owner. Mine is completely original except for the radio that was replaced sometime in the 80s or early 90s.  I got a replica radio for Christmas that I am ready to install next week. I put an electronic ignition on it a couple of years ago because I got tired of screwing with points and timing. I still have them set aside so I can put them back for car shows or if I were to sell.

I have the original build sheet, warranty card and owners manual. and it has about 134k miles on it now. The gentleman I purchased it from really took good care of it and was very happy that I purchased from him because he lives 2 doors down from us so he was able to visit it any time he wanted to. Unfortunately he passed away last year. He had Alzheimers and was unable to drive which is why he sold it to me.  I have tried to keep mine as original as possible. The "Spring Special" had the striping, NASA hood, dog dish hub caps with beauty rings, color keyed bumper, mirrors,etc.. The only option he didn't get that was offered was a vinyl top.  I have the wider tires with raised white letters but that is OK because you could order just about anything with the same back then. He showed us pictures of him and his wife from around 1974 or 75 standing in front of it holding their newborn oldest son. Yikes! An infant then, he is almost 50.  It still had the original F70-14s polyglass wide ovals on it. They make replica radials that look like the original and they look much cooler but I can't afford to layout that kind of cash right now.  We take it out on the weekends and to car shows around the state (even if I am not entered). I always wanted a 1st generation Mustang and while this is not a Mach 1, it's still pretty unique. 

Just a friendly suggestion but if I were you, I would put everything back the way it was  and don't make any changes that can't be reversed.  Keeping them original is important to collectors and if you plan on entering it in car shows.  if you make a bunch if revisions then it is not worth any more than any other coupe from that year.   The one thing that irritates me more than anything is when people make a bunch of changes with cheap, crappy aftermarket parts and then call it a "tribute" Mach 1 or Boss or whatever. Or much worse when they try and sell them as an original and none of the numbers, engines, trans, interior, etc.. match up.   

The only thing that worries me are assholes stealing the hub caps or gas cap. Mine are all original and are getting more and more difficult to find.  Although I don't know why. The FMC hub cap was used on several models of cars and light trucks back then. They had to of manufactured a few million of them. 

A friend of mine has a 1950 Studebaker Champion Bullet Nose. He and his wife went to a car show and were staying in a hotel overnight.  When they got ready to leave in the morning he discovered that someone had scratched the side down to the metal from fender to quarter panel and stolen the baby moon hub caps on it. It's bad enough that they stole from him but did they have to damage it as well? Some people are just assholes. 

?

I just purchased a 1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe. It has a numbers matching 351 Cleveland 2V. The car has 54,000 original miles and is in very nice but not showroom shape. It has had a recent paint job and does not have original wheels. I am wondering if anyone can help me estimate a value. I know these cars are rare, but I don't know if they are collectible. It has NASA hood and boss stripes. In addition it is green with black stripes which is the original color code.  Most were red with black.
Welcome from Omaha!

I just purchased a 1971 Spring Edition Hardtop Coupe. It has a numbers matching 351 Cleveland 2V. The car has 54,000 original miles and is in very nice but not showroom shape. It has had a recent paint job and does not have original wheels. I am wondering if anyone can help me estimate a value. I know these cars are rare, but I don't know if they are collectible. It has NASA hood and boss stripes. In addition it is green with black stripes which is the original color code.  Most were red with black.
Welcome from Omaha!
That is not the original engine. The coupe and particularly the "Spring Special" had  a 302 2v. The R-code Boss 351c was only offered in the 71 Boss 351 Mustang. Ford manufactured 1,806 Boss 351 Mustangs in 1971, 591 are registered and accounted for on the Boss 351 Registry site. It might of originally been a "Spring Special"  but has been modified at one time or another. Do you have any of the original paperwork?  As far a value is concerned if the engine is in fact a 351c R code manufactured in 1971 with 54k "original" miles then it is worth more than the car since it is very rare but would not have been the original engine in that car. Who told you it has 54k original miles? They may have meant 54k miles in that car.   On the other hand, if it is a 351w that came from an LTD or F100 then neither are worth much as they are not original or collectors items or rare.

You could get other engines than the 302. He said that it is a 351 2v, no mention of the boss motor. Pretty sure you could get a 351 2v or a 351 4v with auto or stick. And nothing like digging up a 7 year old thread, lol.

You could get other engines than the 302. He said that it is a 351 2v, no mention of the boss motor. Pretty sure you could get a 351 2v or a 351 4v with auto or stick. And nothing like digging up a 7 year old thread, lol.
Thread dug up because I own a 71 Spring Special so I felt compelled to comment. And you? 

In the 1971 Spring Special  I have been told that the engine offered was the 302 2v in the coupe and was manufactured at 2 plants.  I have one with the original build sheet, warranty card, etc.. And it was purchased from the original owner. According to him the only extra he did not get was the vinyl top.  I hate to see people purchase a vehicle when the person selling it to them claim to be a special edition and that turn out not to be. New paint, 54k original miles and not original wheels set off a bunch of red flags.  It is really wrong to misrepresent something like that to the buyer (I think he got ripped off).   Look at one of my earlier posts.  I saw one recently for sale claiming to be a special edition that had weird wheels and thin rubber on it along with a bright metallic (candy) green. Not original equipment so probably not an actual special. 

I am not sure why I thought he meant the R code. I guess it is because I relate that with the a Mustang with the 351C from those model years.  However, If the car he owns shows a code for the 351C 2V, 1. it was probably not a Spring Special. 2. The engine 351C 2V is worth almost as much as the vehicle because they are way more sought after than the 351W.  Also, from what I have read the 351C was  available only in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustang.  So, I am sure you could special order a 351 for the Mustang Coupe  (not sure why  you would want to). I don't think it would of been a 351C.  That is, manufactured at the Cleveland foundry. I'm not claiming to be an expert. All I know is what I have been told.  In any case it would be best to get a Marti report. 

The 71 Mustang Special Value Package (Spring Special) could be ordered with any option as long as it did not cause a decontent or a conflict with any item included in the Special Value Package. The 351C 2bl, 4bl, and CJ were all available at the same time these coupes were being built. The 351C was not exclusive to the Boss, but the "R" code version was. The price difference over the 302 was $45.00 for the "H" 351C 2bl, $93.00 for the "M" 351C 4bl, and $194.00 for the "Q" 351 CJ. So they were certainly affordable options. The 351W was not installed in any US built 71-73 Mustang. As far as exterior colors, because of the urethane front bumper, any exterior color that was offered on the mach 1 could be had on the Special Value coupe.

It would safe to say that most of these that were ordered for dealer stock were not heavily optioned so as to keep the price in the spirit of the of the "Value Package offering. 

The 71 Mustang Special Value Package (Spring Special) could be ordered with any option as long as it did not cause a decontent or a conflict with any item included in the Special Value Package. The 351C 2bl, 4bl, and CJ were all available at the same time these coupes were being built. The 351C was not exclusive to the Boss, but the "R" code version was. The price difference over the 302 was $45.00 for the "H" 351C 2bl, $93.00 for the "M" 351C 4bl, and $194.00 for the "Q" 351 CJ. So they were certainly affordable options. The 351W was not installed in any US built 71-73 Mustang. As far as exterior colors, because of the urethane front bumper, any exterior color that was offered on the mach 1 could be had on the Special Value coupe.

It would safe to say that most of these that were ordered for dealer stock were not heavily optioned so as to keep the price in the spirit of the of the "Value Package offering. 
I'm pretty sure the 351W was available for the 71-73 models. I know it was available option for the Mustang as early as 1968. Where are you getting your info from. I need to read more on that along as a few other questions I have.  As for exterior colors.. Yes. I am aware of this. However, the car I was referencing was being advertised as a spring special but had a color nothing like Ford (or anyone) offered in 1971 and of course it had the stupid big ugly wheels and skinny low to the ground thin tires on it. If I can find the original listing for it I will post it for you to see what I mean. 

As with anything else when stock was not moving Ford and most other manufacturers would offer something like this or similar. The numbers for the Mustang were not very good for 1971. You are correct that too much deviation from the base negates the idea of "special value". So why not just pay the extra $$$ and get the Mach 1 or Boss? It is hard to believe now that $500 - $1000 was such a huge difference but you are looking at $2650 for a new car. So it really was a difference between $17k or $25k in todays dollars. 

Since you are shown here as a Mustang guru, perhaps you can help me with something.  I am really trying my best to keep everything original on my Mustang but have run into an issue that I am not sure can be solved. 

The original steering wheel is the 2 spoke type with the hub in the center that acts as the horn button. This type of configuration was used throughout the 70s and the same config was used for the Mustang, Maverick, Pinto and Torino. Solid two spoke wheel horn button with and emblem in the center. I remember these and Ford must have manufactured about a million of them.  None of the aftermarket vendors seem to carry replacement parts but do carry after market steering wheels of their own design or 65-68 only.  Do you know of anyone that might have the parts for my configuration or possibly someone that has NOS on hand? Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a picture so you can see what I am up against.  The horn wiring is in the hub but all of the parts for it are gone. No spring or strike plate, etc..  

wheel#2.jpg

Secluff is correct, 351 Windsors never installed by factory in any 71-73 mustang.  Ford's intent was to use the 351C and push the performance potential of it, but as we know, the horsepower wars were over , so it was sidelined after 1974.

Marti's book ' Mustang...By the Numbers' will provide all the data on production of the 67-73 mustangs including what engines were installed during those years.

Secluff is correct, 351 Windsors never installed by factory in any 71-73 mustang.  Ford's intent was to use the 351C and push the performance potential of it, but as we know, the horsepower wars were over , so it was sidelined after 1974.

Marti's book ' Mustang...By the Numbers' will provide all the data on production of the 67-73 mustangs including what engines were installed during those years.
Didn't the Mexican 7173's have Windsors?

Bill73Ragtop & secluff

Thanks for the insight.

Does the Marti book also show add or subtract cost for a specific model and will it decode my build sheet?  TommyK  raises an interesting issue. Were there differences in Mustangs built in or for other countries like Mexico or Canada?  

Also,  Can either of you help me with my horn / steering wheel dilemma? 

Hello joe71,

First let me say again that the 351W was NEVER production installed in any 71-73 U.S. built Mustang.  The key word being U.S. built. Complete running vehicles with a full 11 digit VIN showing 1F  (Dearborn) or 1T (Metuchen) were not built outside the Continental United States. Even vehicles built for export had a U.S. VIN.  The 351W was first installed in 1969. Any vehicles that have a 351W and show a production date in '68 are 1969 models that were built from the close of '68 production (normally July) and the start of  '69 production (usually August). The 71-73 Mexican Mustangs were not complete running vehicles and left Dearborn as "knock Down" kits with no VIN. Basically a body shell with no power train. Mexico had some very strong content laws on component content of  vehicles manufactured there. The engine, transmission and differential were manufactured and supplied to the Ford  La Villa plant  from local Mexico manufacturing  plants. The 351W engine and transmissions were Ford of Mexico built but the differential was a Dana unit since Ford did not manufacture 8 or 9" units in Mexico.  

Production numbers were down for all the big three. Most sources show 149,682 for the 71's.  Actual numbers vary by what source used.  '71 was the 8th consecutive year that some type of Spring special edition was offered. There were also Torino and Pinto versions. So this was not an act of desperation, but a continuing series. The 65-66 Mustangs set a bench mark for sales that stand to this day. Whether '71 or 2020 dollars, the $97.00 cost of the Special Value package was a  absolute bargain. Even if ordered with no additional options, it was still a well equipped vehicle.  

I am familiar with the wheel your referring to. It is the 71 only base steering wheel which makes finding one of those almost impossible. Often called a Boss wheel since a lot of Boss cars were ordered bare bones as possible to keep the weight and cost down. No Mercury vehicles were equipped with this wheel. And since  it was also used on base Mavericks and Pintos, basically "Throw Away" cars, not a lot were salvaged when these cars were at the end of their life cycle. They were only used for a very short time and were not used on Torinos. Although a base steering wheel, when the word Boss is used in the description, sellers eyes gloss over with $$ signs and realistic prices go out the window. The center hub with the horn switch show up on E-Bay occasionally. Some are new ($$$) and the used ones need to be checked carefully as broken wires and damaged retaining clips are the norm. I would try Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang to see if they might have any of this type of steering wheel. Unless you specifically want to use the same wheel they might even have a used Deluxe two spoke wheel for a deal. And.... Don (OMS) now has the repo two spoke deluxe wheel, pad and horn switch. 

For sure Secluff is our resident Ford dealer guy. 
Ford only made 71 - 73 Mustangs in four places. The start of 71 has N.J. as an assembly plant. That was shut down and all of the 72 & 73 came out of Michigan. Of course the Mexican models were made in Mexico and the 73 Sprint models have really cool two tone paint job.

There was no assembly plant in Canada but lots of parts were made in Canada.

The only other place they assembled Mustangs was by the Dutch. Here is a link to some info. http://www.mustangdrivers.be/dutchmustangs.htm

As some have mentioned you should get you a copy of Mustang by the Numbers that Marti put together. It is not 100% for some reason he leaves some options off his lists. 
You will also see in the book that Ford built lot of odd ball mustangs. You could order any color you wanted that Ford had as a stock color. They called it Special Paint & Trim option. Marti has the number they made he did not get the specifics of what each one involved. If it was for a non Mustang paint there is no paint code on the door sticker and will have a six digit DSO code. There are several here on the forum I have a 73 vert that is non factory color.

With that being said you could have ordered a Q code spring special with 4 speed and it could have been any color Ford had offered. With the rubber front bumper in 71 & 72 Ford would switch to a chrome even on a Mach 1. In 73 there were no chrome so the put Argent front bumpers on.
Ford offered the ability to get any color for every year of Mustang. Here is a couple pics of one of the very early 1964 1/2. Had a 1940 Lincoln color and had real leather seats. Has the six digit DSO code and there is actually a registry for them.

There are lots of odd Mustangs out there and many just blow it off as the owner change it but Ford would do lots of trim and color changes. They could not say put you a 351 W in 71-73 because it was never certified for government requirements. The Door sticker on our cars is called the "Certification Label" by Ford the dash tag is the "Official Vehicle Identificaiton Number.

Was looking a 67 model coupe the other day on Facebook everyone was telling him it had a color change that no Mustangs that model got Calypso Coral but his car was. I got in touch with him and it had the six digit DSO and no paint code. It was a one of the Special Paint cars so it is really rare. 
Here is a copy of my Marti for the 73 vert I have with all the info. I also was lucky to have a build sheet and it states to install the Argent front bumper. Couple pics of the 64 1/2 with non factory options installed by Ford.

Ford did some odd Mustangs some got out to public some did not. The one automatic Boss 429 did not get to the public and it was also a mid engine model. The two Boss 429 Cougars did get to public and have been found. 

image.png

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_1171.JPG

View attachment 3F03H228536_dlxrpt.pdf

Hello David,

It's hard to believe that it took three different U.S. plants to barely keep up with demand for the new Mustang. The Metuchen plant you mentioned ceased Mustang production in early '71 to starting building the new Pinto! All the pre '05 Mustangs in our family (starting with our 1st, a 66 coupe)  have all been Dearborn cars. And that does include MANY Fox cars.

The colors on the '71 Spring Special value car were limited to what was available on the Mach 1. Options were open as long as it did not cause a decontent or change of the value package. The order bank on this vehicle opened to the dealers March 1971, and the availability of the new  351CJ in May, so it was possible to order this set up on a Sprint and have a really rare '71 Mustang. 

Agree, occasionally some test cars and prototypes do make it out the "Back" door at Ford. Most of the time Ford keeps a pretty close clamp down on these cars. Especially now since some of these test/prototype cars may not be emissions compliant at the time they are in a test phase.  In 1989 Ford was working with Roush on a 25th anniversary Mustang with a twin turbo 351W. Word got out that this was a "Done Deal" and people were going to dealers placing $25,000.00 deposits to be the first in line for this car. Problem was Ford never commited 100% to this project and had to send letters to all Ford dealers instructing them to NOT take any deposits on this car. There were angry customers (and Dealers) when calls to Ford for updates were met with....What?.....what Anniversary car!? To add insult to injury, Ford did build twelve 351 1989 Mustangs for evaluation and then after they were "Evaluated" all were destroyed! What we ended up for a Anniversary car is what is referred to as the "7 Up Car". These were Deep Emerald Green and featured a white leather interior and a white convertible top with the standard 5.0 power!  

My internal unnamed sources tell me the Roush car was topping out at 177 MPH+ and could be made to switch lanes with a manly push of the "Loud" pedal. The suits in the legal office starting screaming about liability issues and how irresponsible this beast was and the rest is history. Evidently the same people are no longer there as evidenced by the new GT350 and 500 Shelbys!!

Roush owns the sole existing prototype, which sits in his museum and was not part of the 12 Mustangs Ford built for production line evaluation.    :classic_smile:

Back