1972 vs. 1973 351C Vacuum System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
So here is the last set of initial questions.

Here is an image of the current set up:

Any diagram I find has the the vacuum from the Distr going to the Valve assy.

The Valve assy currently has nothing attached. That is located on the front right side next to the alternator.

The diagram for the 1972 351C shows the that instead of going directly to the carb, the hoses from the distributor vacuum run to the Valve Assy. There also seem to be a second line running from the back of the distributor - but that isn't very clear.

Any ideas? Clearly the car runs without any of these connected - do I just plug them all?

Tim

Those were added to prevent vacuum advance before the car reached a certain speed and before it reached operating temperature for emission reasons. They also tended to reduce performance, so those, along with the EGR were often bypassed.

Thanks Don,

Here in AZ the car still has to pass emission. But lets say I reg it has a historic vehicle - do you just cap them off?

Tim

Those were added to prevent vacuum advance before the car reached a certain speed and before it reached operating temperature for emission reasons. They also tended to reduce performance, so those, along with the EGR were often bypassed.

If registering it as an antique vehicle doesn't require an inspection, yes just cap off the unused ports/connections. If it requires an inspection you'll have to run all of the hoses.

Back