1973 351C 4V stock valve cover question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Hi guys ,

I have a question regarding my 1973 351C 4V engine.  I see a lot of different valve covers for the 351 engines. I was wondering if the covers on my engine are original from factory or installed afterwards. Are there any differences by year? 2V or 4V?

The engine in my car has been rebuild in 2005 but the current valve covers were already on there when I check some photo's of the rebuild. 

When I am going to restore the car , I want it to be as original as possible.

IMG_20170223_130603.jpg

IMG_20170223_130516.jpg

IMG_20170224_074002.jpg

jd79, those valve covers were a Ford Motorsport offering starting in the 80's. They were patterned after the Boss 302/351 valve covers and were  offered in polished and black crinkle finish. They are still in the FRP catalog (now Ford Racing Parts) and have Ford Racing on the valve cover. Sold a lot of them and were a lot better quality than the last Boss 302/351 castings offered through Ford parts. Most of the 73 steel production installed valve covers just had the Ford oval (like Jason's illustration). Some early 73's may have the 70-72 cover which had "Power By Ford". With the exception of the R code 351's all 2bl and 4bl 351C's used the same valve covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
most of the time when an engine is rebuilt they use aftermarket lifters and rockers and they no longer fit under the original valve covers.

so be careful if you want to go back to stock and buy a set of original covers, that first time you start up and start getting massive banging noises means you will be going back to the taller after market ones.

most of the time when an engine is rebuilt they use aftermarket lifters and rockers and they no longer fit under the original valve covers.

so be careful if you want to go back to stock and buy a set of original covers, that first time you start up and start getting massive banging noises means you will be going back to the taller after market ones.

Thanks for the info! Didn't think about this. 

As far as I know everything is standard. Just slightly bigger pistons  (0.010)

I've taken some photo's of the engine rebuild photo album....  Maybe you can advise if it is still standard....

upload photo

JD  stock valve covers were different for 71 - 2 powered by ford   VS 73  ford if you want to go original

Latest posts

Back