1973 forged aluminum wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim... I run 225/70R14 front and rear. When I get new tires, I'll switch to 60s.
One thing to consider...the 235/60s are lower profile and 1.3" less in diameter. With the 14" rims using the 60 profile tire they don't fill up the wheel wells nearly as much and don't look that great IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim... I run 225/70R14 front and rear. When I get new tires, I'll switch to 60s.
One thing to consider...the 235/60s are lower profile and 1.3" less in diameter. With the 14" rims using the 60 profile tire they don't fill up the wheel wells nearly as much and don't look that great IMHO.
Thanks Jeff,

Goes to show how little I know about tire sizes. Aren't 60s wider than 70s? What tire size would you recommend to fill out the wheel well better and give me a wider looking tire?

Goes to show how little I know about tire sizes. Aren't 60s wider than 70s? What tire size would you recommend to fill out the wheel well better and give me a wider looking tire?

60s are wider but smaller diameter and height so they don't fill up wheel well when looking at car. Here is a site I use to compare sizes that will help you. I bought the 23/60s and tried them on my oem alum wheels and took them back for 225/70s. They look much better.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-converter/

Last edited by a moderator:
60s are wider but smaller diameter and height so they don't fill up wheel well when looking at car. Here is a site I use to compare sizes that will help you. I bought the 23/60s and tried them on my oem alum wheels and took them back for 225/70s. They look much better.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-converter/

Wow... thanks Jeff. That is a great piece of gear. I get it now. You probably saved me a lot of heartache. I do love this forum... and it's members. Thanks again.

This is my car with 235/60/14s.

SUNP0075.jpg

Hello,

A couple notes on the wheels. I have three sets of them. One from a Mercury, one from Mustang and one from Maverick. The Maverick and Mustang are the same just different wheel caps but the Mercury is different. The hubs and axle center on a Mercury are larger than a Mustang so the center hole would be larger if it is Mercury. The weight of the car is designed to be carried by the center hole and the lugs hold it on so a Mercury wheel would not fit correctly on a Mustang. I will measure later and post results for future reference. The slots had a sanded finish when new that was maybe 180 grit on a sanding drum. The paint like everyone says is easy to fix. They are a pain to keep looking good because they are not sealed with anything when new and you have to keep harsh cleaners off or they corrode in minutes.

I think they look better than aftermarket polish them up.

David

I had thought I had posted a reply to your alu wheel questions. I have four sets actually, one on the 73 they came on, another set off a mustang, a set off a Mercury and a set off a Maverick. I saw one reply saying that the Maverick ones were smaller. I just went to the barn and pulled out one off the mustang, maverick and the Mercury. There are three different diameters but the Maverick and Mustang were the same about 2.440" calipers would not go into wheel to get accurate, The other two sets one had 2.75" dia. and the last was 2.84" dia.. They all had the same offset and measured from bead to bead 6" and over the wheel 7". I took some pics but cannot get them off the new camera do not have the software.

If there is another diameter I do not have them but I know one set was off a Maverick I still have the center caps. I know the Mercury is larger than the Mustang due to the front hubs and rear axles having a larger diameter that centers the wheel and supports the car weight the lugs just hold the wheel on and do not locate it.

Just more information. You could put any of the wheels on a lathe and open the center hole up to fit what you have.

The slots actually have the mill finish from the machine process that looks something like a 180 grit sand but for sure a mill finish.

David

I had thought I had posted a reply to your alu wheel questions. I have four sets actually, one on the 73 they came on, another set off a mustang, a set off a Mercury and a set off a Maverick. I saw one reply saying that the Maverick ones were smaller. I just went to the barn and pulled out one off the mustang, maverick and the Mercury. There are three different diameters but the Maverick and Mustang were the same about 2.440" calipers would not go into wheel to get accurate, The other two sets one had 2.75" dia. and the last was 2.84" dia.. They all had the same offset and measured from bead to bead 6" and over the wheel 7". I took some pics but cannot get them off the new camera do not have the software.

If there is another diameter I do not have them but I know one set was off a Maverick I still have the center caps. I know the Mercury is larger than the Mustang due to the front hubs and rear axles having a larger diameter that centers the wheel and supports the car weight the lugs just hold the wheel on and do not locate it.

Just more information. You could put any of the wheels on a lathe and open the center hole up to fit what you have.

The slots actually have the mill finish from the machine process that looks something like a 180 grit sand but for sure a mill finish.

David
Thanks for taking the time to research.

Back